Woman murdered in Tullamore..

Cos the last time information about the alleged suspect was floating around that worked out so well.

Ffs like, youd think people might have learned something from that...
Totally agree. Still though, if there’s any truth to it, then it’s going to open a complete new line of discussion.

I've seen guys pinch a womans arse and get a smack or eventually get to take her home, so in the first case you could call it harassment in the second we'd call it a rather crude chat up technique.

And both definitions depend on the womans reaction, the guys motive in both cases may have been the same yet the outcomes are different. Discuss?

I worked on a building site in London one summer in college, and yes we did whistle at a good looking girl if she walked by, it was half for a laugh and half so she'd turn around and you'd get a look at her again, some would turn around with a big smile on their face I'm guessing glad of the attention and some would just carry on walking probably not very happy.

The intention of these actions is what matters, to state it couldn't be described as liking women and hence misogynistic is way over the top without looking at the motives in question.

It's fine to point out women don't like this kind of attention and could you please lay off, that is a simple message rather resorting to the melodramatic like misogyny. Its not the word that offends its the misuse of the word.

You've seen the effect it's had here with everyone laughing at him and basically missing the message completely, sometimes how you convey a message is just as important as the message.
Maybe this is the issue with catcalling - some women take it very badly(absolutely fair) and other women take it quite well so therefore it’s not always seen as the wrong thing to do. Society is learning to accept it much less these days. We are all learning.

Not sure how a brutal murder of a young girl has led to catcalling being a topic though. Social media users have used this awful incident to push weird agendas at a fairly inappropriate time. It’s almost as if finding the murderer has become a secondary topic to it all.

I've seen guys pinch a womans arse and get a smack or eventually get to take her home, so in the first case you could call it harassment in the second we'd call it a rather crude chat up technique.

And both definitions depend on the womans reaction, the guys motive in both cases may have been the same yet the outcomes are different. Discuss?

I worked on a building site in London one summer in college, and yes we did whistle at a good looking girl if she walked by, it was half for a laugh and half so she'd turn around and you'd get a look at her again, some would turn around with a big smile on their face I'm guessing glad of the attention and some would just carry on walking probably not very happy.

The intention of these actions is what matters, to state it couldn't be described as liking women and hence misogynistic is way over the top without looking at the motives in question.

It's fine to point out women don't like this kind of attention and could you please lay off, that is a simple message rather resorting to the melodramatic like misogyny. Its not the word that offends its the misuse of the word.

You've seen the effect it's had here with everyone laughing at him and basically missing the message completely, sometimes how you convey a message is just as important as the message.
I've smiled at men who wolf whistled at me on a building site. Not because I found it amusing or flattering but because if you dont smile you run the risk of the wolf whistle being follows up with being called a stuck up bitch or a cunt. Sometimes its safer to just smile.

Maybe there are women who find wolf whistling adorable and who could think of nothing sexier than being groped by a stranger but I'd bet they are in the minority.

Would you consider what happened to my niece to be misogynistic? How bad does it have to be, in your opinion,before that word is warranted?

Maybe this is the issue with catcalling - some women take it very badly(absolutely fair) and other women take it quite well so therefore it’s not always seen as the wrong thing to do. Society is learning to accept it much less these days. We are all learning.

Not sure how a brutal murder of a young girl has led to catcalling being a topic though. Social media users have used this awful incident to push weird agendas at a fairly inappropriate time. It’s almost as if finding the murderer has become a secondary topic to it all.
Because if a woman gets cat called it can make her feel unsafe. Being grabbed at makes us feel unsafe. When those things happen, we dont know if the behaviour will end there or escalate to something worse.

So when the something worse happens to a young woman it reminds us of our vulnerability.

Thats why they are connected.

Also, I keep seeing this " its almost as if finding the murderer doesn't matter" stuff. I don't get that? Irs not like Social media would be busy solving this case if it weren't discussing misogyny like!

I've smiled at men who wolf whistled at me on a building site. Not because I found it amusing or flattering but because if you dont smile you run the risk of the wolf whistle being follows up with being called a stuck up bitch or a cunt. Sometimes its safer to just smile.

Maybe there are women who find wolf whistling adorable and who could think of nothing sexier than being groped by a stranger but I'd bet they are in the minority.

Would you consider what happened to my niece to be misogynistic? How bad does it have to be, in your opinion,before that word is warranted?
I think what happened to your niece was a very shitty thing, there is no argument there.

What I'm saying is it is all about the messaging and if you want men to change their behaviour the messaging is vital. In any negotiation you always have to throw a dog a bone.

So which one of these do you think would achieve better results.

Stop being misogynists.

or

I know a lot of ye think catcalling etc is a bit of harmless fun but we as women find it very off-putting etc.

The first is insulting and 9 times out of ten people try and defend themselves when they perceive themselves to be insulted and hence it simply becomes a tit for tat discussion, the second shows a bit of understanding and allows a discussion to take place.

Because if a woman gets cat called it can make her feel unsafe. Being grabbed at makes us feel unsafe. When those things happen, we dont know if the behaviour will end there or escalate to something worse.

So when the something worse happens to a young woman it reminds us of our vulnerability.

Thats why they are connected.

Also, I keep seeing this " its almost as if finding the murderer doesn't matter" stuff. I don't get that? Irs not like Social media would be busy solving this case if it weren't discussing misogyny like!
I understand that but if a woman gets catcalled and responds to it in a friendly nature then the male in question isn’t going to see it as endangering her or offending her as I’m sure plenty catcalling incidents are probably intended as low wit banter rather than endangerment.

All of these examples are hypothetical of course. There are probably some women who can see the funny side of it and enjoy it. And then like you said there are probably plenty of women who hate it and get scared by it. We don’t know for sure but the fact reactions differ to it means it’s not too hard to see how catcalling has been a thing and is still a thing. If it was always greeted with a bad response then it would be much rarer.

Every time a woman is murdered isn’t always because of misogyny in society. Linking misogyny and murder without more facts about the murderer is a strange thing to do. Social media has done this though for some reason. Nobody can deny many on social media have used this incident to boost their profile and to push side agendas.

I think what happened to your niece was a very shitty thing, there is no argument there.

What I'm saying is it is all about the messaging and if you want men to change their behaviour the messaging is vital. In any negotiation you always have to throw a dog a bone.

So which one of these do you think would achieve better results.

Stop being misogynists.

or

I know a lot of ye think catcalling etc is a bit of harmless fun but we as women find it very off-putting etc.

The first is insulting and 9 times out of ten people try and defend themselves when they perceive themselves to be insulted and hence it simply becomes a tit for tat discussion, the second shows a bit of understanding and allows a discussion to take place.
I get where you're coming from but to me that just sounds like we have to pretend that the misogynistics arent being misogynistic because their right not to be offended or insulted trumps the rights of women not to be harassed.

Secondly, the approach you are suggesting is basically what consent classes teach, and I'm sure you are aware of how the notion of them is reacted to on here...

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

12th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

115 Jazz Jam Sessions

115 Caf And Wine Bar, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼