Which sports book are you reading at the moment?

Was told over the weekend about this man and his mad story....not sure if it's something everyone is aware of but i never heard of it until 2 days ago

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/994023.Playing_the_Moldovans_at_Tennis

Playing the Moldovans at Tennis
by Tony Hawks

It doesn't take much - "£100 is usually sufficient" - to persuade Tony Hawks to take off on notoriously bizarre and hilarious adventures in response to a bet. And so it is, a pointless argument with a friend concludes in a bet - that Tony can't beat all eleven members of the Moldovan soccer team at tennis. And with the loser of the bet agreeing to strip naked on Balham High Road and sing the Moldovan national anthem, this one was just too good to resist.

The ensuing unpredictable and often hilarious adventure sees him being taken in by Moldovan gypsies and narrowly avoid kidnap in Transnistria. It sees him smuggle his way on to the Moldovan National Team coach in Coleraine and witness (almost) divine intervention in the Holy Land.

In this inspiring and exceptionally funny book, Tony Hawks has done it again, proving against all odds that there is no reason in the world why you can't do something a bit stupid and prove all of your doubters wrong. Or at least that was the idea...

About halfway through Champagne Football atm. Christ, you’d be getting angrier by the page.

Always knew Delaney was an asshole, but this book shows you in depth how much of an asshole.

Very well written too.

About halfway through Champagne Football atm. Christ, you’d be getting angrier by the page.

Always knew Delaney was an asshole, but this book shows you in depth how much of an asshole.

Very well written too.

Yeah I think I read it in about 3 nights.

Breathtaking what an absolute c*nt the guy is.

I think most people have no grasp of how focked Irish footballs finances are because of him.

Yeah I think I read it in about 3 nights.

Breathtaking what an absolute c*nt the guy is.

I think most people have no grasp of how focked Irish footballs finances are because of him.

Yeah, I’m about half way through and from what I’ve read in the news and in the book it’s clear to see the direction this story is heading.

But so far it’s the way that he treated staff on 30 k a year, any board member that had the temerity to question him and the same with journalists who spoke up. Calling the cops on Rowan for daring to ask questions.

He’s like the Stalin of football administrators.

He's a tramp.

Football in this country will still be paying for his actions for at least ten to fifteen years..

He's still obstructing the court case brought by the director of corporate enforcement.

Yeah, I’m about half way through and from what I’ve read in the news and in the book it’s clear to see the direction this story is heading.

But so far it’s the way that he treated staff on 30 k a year, any board member that had the temerity to question him and the same with journalists who spoke up. Calling the cops on Rowan for daring to ask questions.

He’s like the Stalin of football administrators.
Spoiler alert: he keeps the job and Ireland win the World Cup.

Read this on holidays in August

9781473524088.jpg

The writing is straightforward route 1 stuff but it's one of those books where the writing was always going to take second place to sheer awe at the sporting achievements. Five Olympic medals including the 5,000, 10,000 and marathon triple crown in Helsinki. His training was insane - he had an unreal physiology to be able to take that level of punishment. No doubt it contributed to the relative brevity of his career at the top.

There's good chapters on his gradual disaffection with the Czech communist system, his role in '68 and subsequent "cancelling" by a state that had heretofore lionised him. Good exploration of his relationship with his wife too. The warmth and humanity of the man shine from every page.

Recommended.

any recommendations to read over the Christmas? I've picked up a copy of Two Brothers by Jonathon Wilson about Jack and Bobby Charlton. have read previous books by Wilson so looking forward to it

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sarah Buckley & Bróna Keogh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Open Mic Night

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼