West Brits.

A re-unification of sorts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Republic of Ireland should rejoin Commonwealth, says senator

A politician hoping to become Ireland's next president has called for the Republic to join the Commonwealth

Senator David Norris , who plans to run in the country's presidential race, said membership would reap enormous benefits.

Speaking at the launch of the book Ireland and the Commonwealth: Towards Membership, at the Royal Irish Academy, he said that although joining the Commonwealth is unlikely to be top of the Irish political agenda, "should it be demonstrated that this is what the Irish people wish I believe that it could be accomplished with a minimum of fuss".

The majority of members are of the Commonwealth, he said, were now republics, with the Queen's position largely titular.

"New successful applicants such as Rwanda have recently joined the Commonwealth even though they were never a British colony. It would produce very useful cultural, financial and political contacts for this country and among other things would enable Irish athletes to compete in the Commonwealth Games, something which I am sure they would welcome."

The book, produced by the Reform Group, is a collection of articles, debates and speeches, generally supportive of Ireland’s membership of the Commonwealth.

The Reform Group believes that the Republic of Ireland should, as a sovereign state, cultivate its "already close relationship with the peoples of the Commonwealth by becoming members of the association".

It argues that this would not only be strategically beneficial but would be an important symbol of a new confident state "at ease with its own identity and free from the animosities of the past".

Other contributors to the book also voiced their support for the move.

Professor Robert Martin, an Honorary Fellow of Trinity College Dublin, said: "There is a natural bond between Ireland and the Asian, African and Caribbean countries of the Commonwealth. It should be strengthened and institutionalised. Commonwealth membership would be the best means of achieving these ends."

Author and journalist Mary Kenny said: "It would enlarge Ireland’s influence to join the Commonwealth – and enhance the sense of inclusivity in the Irish nation."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...alth-says-senator-14814353.html#ixzz1Ym9LYiMB

The reason among others I won't support Norris (him being gay not one of them) and considering Mitchell wants to go the whole hog definitely not him.

But the discussion needs to be had as I said earlier.

A re-unification of sorts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Republic of Ireland should rejoin Commonwealth, says senator

A politician hoping to become Ireland's next president has called for the Republic to join the Commonwealth

Senator David Norris , who plans to run in the country's presidential race, said membership would reap enormous benefits.

Speaking at the launch of the book Ireland and the Commonwealth: Towards Membership, at the Royal Irish Academy, he said that although joining the Commonwealth is unlikely to be top of the Irish political agenda, "should it be demonstrated that this is what the Irish people wish I believe that it could be accomplished with a minimum of fuss".

The majority of members are of the Commonwealth, he said, were now republics, with the Queen's position largely titular.

"New successful applicants such as Rwanda have recently joined the Commonwealth even though they were never a British colony. It would produce very useful cultural, financial and political contacts for this country and among other things would enable Irish athletes to compete in the Commonwealth Games, something which I am sure they would welcome."

The book, produced by the Reform Group, is a collection of articles, debates and speeches, generally supportive of Ireland’s membership of the Commonwealth.

The Reform Group believes that the Republic of Ireland should, as a sovereign state, cultivate its "already close relationship with the peoples of the Commonwealth by becoming members of the association".

It argues that this would not only be strategically beneficial but would be an important symbol of a new confident state "at ease with its own identity and free from the animosities of the past".

Other contributors to the book also voiced their support for the move.

Professor Robert Martin, an Honorary Fellow of Trinity College Dublin, said: "There is a natural bond between Ireland and the Asian, African and Caribbean countries of the Commonwealth. It should be strengthened and institutionalised. Commonwealth membership would be the best means of achieving these ends."

Author and journalist Mary Kenny said: "It would enlarge Ireland’s influence to join the Commonwealth – and enhance the sense of inclusivity in the Irish nation."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...alth-says-senator-14814353.html#ixzz1Ym9LYiMB

That's one and one that has made a name for himself as Ireland's contrarian clown prince without compare. Also he is talking about re-entry (no pun intended) into the commonwealth not re-unification with Britain. Completely different thing . This doesn't address the point I made and Norris neither serves as an example of it nor is he by any means representative of a sizeable majority in any regard on a whole plethora of topics, for good and bad might I add.

In other words FAIL! ;)

I think its good that McGuiness has entered this race as its fostering some level of debate on these issues coming up to 2016. He won't win, but people might actually read beyond the twee version of 1916.

As an aside, I have the misfortune to spend some time up the north once or twice a year. Its one freaky place.

As I've said loads of times, new anthem, more public holidays (12th), Scots Gaelic as taught national language, British passport eligibility retained by Unionists ......there's loads of things I'd compromise on for a United Ireland free from external influence.

WTF for ! How about sticking to the common tongue we both speak fluently as if it were our native tongue (coz it sort of is) , y'know that obscure old world language that no one else wants to speak - English , ever heard of that one .

Christ C32 how much money have we wasted down here on what can only be described as a failed experiment to revive a language long dead even before the formation of the state.

Do you think we should introduce the wearing of kilts as compulsory national dress and instead of Ash Wed or Patricks day we'll have an all in one Braveheart day instead were everyone paints themselves blue and gets pissed singing songs about fighting de English .

426-braveheart--125664909309859000.jpg

Calm, calm ........goosfraba, I was just listing what I thought would need to be compromised on and I think that would be asked for.

As for a waste of money that's your opinion. I think if we taught Irish as a primarily spoken language and always had done we would now be speaking more Irish now or at least a Franglais type Irish-English amalgam.

That's one and one that has made a name for himself as Ireland's contrarian clown prince without compare. Also he is talking about re-entry (no pun intended) into the commonwealth not re-unification with Britain. Completely different thing . This doesn't address the point I made and Norris neither serves as an example of it nor is he by any means representative of a sizeable majority in any regard on a whole plethora of topics, for good and bad might I add.

In other words FAIL! ;)

No you Fail!

I said it was a unification of sorts.

So there.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼