United Ireland

Polldark

I was just wondering what the concencous is back home, I can't assume to know others point of view on this.

I've been living in the Uk now for about 10 years. (Im 39). Last two years I've spent in the centre of the Uk, and I feel I've gotten more of a sample of the country and its people, I'm in the midlands.

When I say I am Irish here, the first question is - "oh, are you from the North or South"?. I think subconsciously I am quite offended by this, because of the history lesson we in Ireland have been schooled on, and the un-neccessary suffering and chaos that ensued because of the human lust for more land and more power.

The average Joe, doesn't realise what the implications of this North/South question are and more often that not, are just making small talk. But I say - "South", and the conversation just ends there. I believe they are oblivious to whats taken place and also subconsciously not wanting to recognise it.

I'd genuinely like to hear modern day opinions on Britain, the English, you're experiences, good or bad, and also the issue with our country that is split.

the north is full of loons on both sides, do we really want them running around down here?

buncha bleedin' nuttahs, like

though i do feel sorry for anyone who has boris and the current tory party as their govt

I'd be in favour of it, it solves the biggest issue on both sides.

The north has lots of empty houses.

The south has lots of jobs.

Neither side has adequate public transport or healthcare.

I spent the summer there. Certainly an eye opener!!
Never seen so many Union Jacks flying proud in most north Antrim villages and towns. Made me feel very uncomfortable!
Negotiations will only begin if EVERYTHING is up for negotiation.
One thing for sure it’s not just a matter of joining the ROI.
The flag and anthem will change, the new country would probably be just called Ireland.
Where will the capital be? Dublin, Belfast or even Cork.
That’s just scratching the surface.
What else is up for grabs???

It’s not on the radar for the average Joe ‘back on the mainland’.
Irish / British history wasn’t on the curricula, might be now.
History lessons focussed on the victorious and triumphs, on the Industrial Revolution with WW1 and WW2 thrown in for good measure.
I don’t blame the British public for their ignorance, more due to the lack of diversity in the educational system.

Point highlighted by the history lesson administered by Geordan Murphy to the England rugby team prior to the Croke Park match in 2007.

Last edited:
I spent the summer there. Certainly an eye opener!!
Never seen so many Union Jacks flying proud in most north Antrim villages and towns. Made me feel very uncomfortable!

I lived in Belfast 20 years ago and there were enclaves of both all over Antrim. all coloured up in whichever flag they're interested in.

I was there over the summer on a holiday, and the loyalist villages are bedecked (we were supposed to stay in Bushmills but luckily the booking fell through).

The republican villages might have a flag or a mural - but nothing major. Even in Belfast the lower Ormeau is just a normal road now.

There's a major crisis of confidence in unionism, and the nationalists are just sitting there waiting.

Had to search around to see if there was a thread on a possible united
ireland, Finally found one, Something popped upon my news feed during the week from BBC saying in the event of the people in the six counties voting
yes there is nothing binding to say the people in the republic have to vote, the government of the day can just declare it a done deal, surely it has to go to a vote?

Had to search around to see if there was a thread on a possible united

ireland, Finally found one, Something popped upon my news feed during the week from BBC saying in the event of the people in the six counties voting

yes there is nothing binding to say the people in the republic have to vote, the government of the day can just declare it a done deal, surely it has to go to a vote?
The GFA does not prescribe how we (down here) affirm it democratically.
That is the point.

A BP in the North and a vote in the Dáil might acvording to the article meet the requirements of the GFA.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Hot Blooded Animals

Coughlan's, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼