Training Run Times

Went out tonight.. 2.5 deg starting out and 2 deg when finished. Brrrrr
Went out last night, we did 10 x 200 metre sprints, Just after the 6th i felt a twinge in my hamstring, langer dan
decided to carry on, Ended up limping home, iced it, sore this morning so will take a break until sunday and see how it is,
Maybe should have worn the leggings? But had done two mile warm up,

BHAA 2022

Sun. 2 Oct 8 am BHAA Cork-Cobh 15 Miles

Great to see this back. One to aim for if you haven’t done it before
Yep, a fantastic race with, apart from the dockyard, a flat course. Really well organised and mega-value.
There's something cool about point to point races too - I don't know what it is but they feel different. Bostom is obviously the most famous example but Cork-Cobh is also a classic of the genre.

Well, that cold spell was brief - I'll confess I did go the tights route for two spins but back in the shorts today in a perfect 9 degrees.

In terms of an update, my form has been stodgy enough over the past couple of weeks - fear of the hamstring translates to fear of speed sessions so all the running is at "steady" pace. The main goal has been to deliver 40 miles a week over four spins. Sometimes that works out OK - if you're feeling fresh in the right conditions the miles tick by nicely and you steadily speed up through an 8 or 10-miler almost without noticing. However, it can also lead to boredom and stodge where it feels like you've never run a springy step in your life and you're counting every lampost as you plough through the spin.

That latter stodge has been the from for the past fortnight or so but today I got out for a rare lunchtime 11-miler. Granted, it was very windy but the sunshine was a massive tonic. I headed out the back of the railway station, along the quays and Mardyke and North over "Wellington" Bridge and onto the Lee Road. Felt pretty good in the headwind even through the long climb to Kerry Pike and then had a decent tailwind from the Angler's all the way in the straight road and home again. The times were nothing to worry my former co-competitors in the Abbott M55 world rankings but the last 6 miles (admittedly in a tailwind) split around the 7:09 mark and that's getting very close to where you'd like to be on a routine spin 14 weeks out from Boston.

No doubt there's lots of shite weather on the way through the next 6 or 8 weeks but every session you get in sunshine like that is another one stolen from the Winter gods (y)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Rebel Comedy Club

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼