TOKiMONSTA live in Limerick, November 21st

TOKiMONSTA (The first lady of Brainfeeder, LA)

Saturday November 21st

Live set at The Cuckoo Box, Limerick

Music from 9pm til 1sh.

Old school and new school bangers been dropped by Deviant, Peter Curtin and Johnny dOObs.

Admission? Nothing, like.

A Cheebah/Kerrynini thing, yo. For anyone who enjoyed the Daedelus/Gaslamp Killer/Onra buzz from before. Fresh beats. All the way.

Born and raised in the South Bay area of Los Angeles, TOKiMONSTA (Jennifer Lee) was an unfocused pupil of classical piano. However, she has come to use this background to understand and create vast soundscapes and textures through the usage of live instruments, percussion, digital manipulation, and dusty vinyls. Through the creation of beats, she is able to fuse the sounds of the past with her musical prowess into something avant garde—all while preserving old school vibes.

Yeah, and she's got mad dope records coming on All City and Brainfeeder, played the Low End Theory and just got selected for the Red Bull Music Academy 2010. Job.

http://www.myspace.com/tokibeats

Brainfeeder podcast with the lady here...

http://www.brainfeedersite.com/2009/05/11/tokimonsta-said-you-dont-need-pepto-you-need-some-beats/

Poster to follow. Some ultra-hype goodness coming over the next few months. We must think of a name for the night, that'd be a start anyway.

The World Is Ours is amazing from her myspace

(plese some one clear up the sample for me too... wreckn my head - and its an easy one, just cant place it!!)

Banging shit indeed, I reckon she has one of the nicest takes on the new beat stuff. Not glitched out to the max, lots of melody.

Is it not Marvin Gaye on the vocals with some slapper? I was wondering too, everytime I hear it, his head keeps jumping up.

Banging shit indeed, I reckon she has one of the nicest takes on the new beat stuff. Not glitched out to the max, lots of melody.

Is it not Marvin Gaye on the vocals with some slapper? I was wondering too, everytime I hear it, his head keeps jumping up.

agree'd about the glitched to d max, nice melodies goin on

"All that i own - You've been so good to me - if this world was mine...." been used by a record that i play and i just cant place it...!! head wreck

It's marvin alright but i cant place which song - maybe its on the album with Diana Ross..

Ah, now that you mention it, the female part has the pong of Diana Ross alright. Seriously nice vocals. The side-chain/noise-gate/what-the-fuck on the piano is great.

Right your killin me Doobs -
Upstairs for a dig and i've got it....

Also a version by Luther Vandross & Cheryl Lynn
and this is where i heard it first - check the beat on this Tweet record - wowsa

Boom

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 4pm

More events ▼