"This lift is out of service, an engineer has been called"

"This lift is out of service, an engineer has been called"

No he hasn't.

A technician has been called.

Engineers don't fix washing machines, lifts and coffee machines.

A mechanic is not an engineer.

Grrr....

(Sorry, just saw it and needed to get it off my chest)

Proinsias said:
No he hasn't.

A technician has been called.

Engineers don't fix washing machines, lifts and coffee machines.

A mechanic is not an engineer.

Grrr....

(Sorry, just saw it and needed to get it off my chest)

are you an engineer by any chance?
do people constantly undermine you due to lack of understanding of the intricities of your chosen field?????????

msGod said:
are you an engineer by any chance?
do people constantly undermine you due to lack of understanding of the intricities of your chosen field?????????
No, it's more of an intrinsic misunderstanding of what engineers do, in the UK and Ireland in particular.

You need recognised qualifications to be an engineer.

And no, in my opinion, MCSE is not a proper engineering qualification either, especially when you can get it with a 14 day fast-track course.

meh, our land lord called a mechanic i think it was to fix our electric shower.... this can be explained in one simple line... "He's an accountant."

I'm more concerned with the demise of the hardware shop to be honest. Now everything is a Home DIY Superstore. I went in to Woodies the other day only to be confronted with departments with such generic names as "Home Improvement Accessories", "Homeware Items", "Outdoor Equipment", and "Hand-Held Tools". I just wanted to buy some simple things, like a hammer, some nails and screws, and a bucket. So where do I find them, Mr. Woody, eh? I eventually found the hammers in the Accessories section. It seems the buckets are in no particular department, instead just randomly distributed all over the place. The screws have an entire department of their own, and there's even a fella on duty there full-time, helping customers with their screw-related enquiries. I quickly retreated as he made a beeline towards me. No doubt he would have all kinds of technical questions for me, asking for dimensions in millimetres and the like. I just wanted a couple of screws for a hole I had seen earlier like.

Imagine that though. Spending your whole day talking about screws!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
JJ Walsh's, 64 Oliver Plunkett St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼