The Tolerance Question....

Basically we are mostly all receptive to employing a level of tolerance to those who are physically, mentally, or emotionally impaired. We apply empathy to the victims of insufferable diseases and conditions. Generosity of spirit is the order of the day in these situations.

Studies have been done( of course) and no I do NOT have evidence and stats , that suggest the more controversial maladies like Alcholism , the propensity to gamble , depression , personality disorder , and even Paedophilia are the result of genetic malfunction.

Yet empathy is very often lacking in these areas.

So my question is :

Why is there more tolerance around some genetic faults and such vitriol attached to others .

Why be so dispassionate , when the carriers of these rogue genes could be just as much slave to their disease as the others .

Much of the time , especially with Paedophiles , the response is that of hang 'em and birch 'em. But why? They were inflicted cruelly by genetic selection weren't they?

Also ...is it possible perhaps in time science and the medical profession can seek out this rogue gene and remove it ?

N.B ...this thread is not necessarily reflective of my own personal opinion . Just putting the question out there.

Last edited:
Basically we are mostly all receptive to employing a level of tolerance to those who are physically, mentally, or emotionally impaired. We apply empathy to the victims of insufferable diseases and conditions. Generosity of spirit is the order of the day in these situations.

Studies have been done( of course) and no I do NOT have evidence and stats , that suggest the more controversial maladies like Alcholism , the propensity to gamble , depression , personality disorder , and even Paedophilia are the result of genetic malfunction.

Yet empathy is very often lacking in these areas.

So my question is :

Why is there more tolerance around some genetic faults and such vitriol attached to others .

Why be so dispassionate , when the carriers of these rogue genes could be just as much slave to their disease as the others .

Much of the time , especially with Paedophiles , the response is that of hang 'em and birch 'em. But why? They were inflicted cruelly by genetic selection weren't they?

Also ...is it possible perhaps in time science and the medical profession can seek out this rogue gene and remove it ?

N.B ...this thread is not necessarily reflective of my own personal opinion . Just putting the question out there.

Because I don't think many people realise the difference between paedophile and child abuser.

The topic is interesting but the minute you are questioned on anything you call "bullying" or start throwing out insults, which makes it next to impossible to debate with you.

Stating that there have been studies done on something and then stating that you can't provide anything to back it up is asking for a questioning, for a start.

The topic is interesting but the minute you are questioned on anything you call "bullying" or start throwing out insults, which makes it next to impossible to debate with you.

Stating that there have been studies done on something and then stating that you can't provide anything to back it up is asking for a questioning, for a start.

Childish response in fairness .

However , if stats and evidence and back up is a prerequisite for you to participate in an interesting topic , I suggest you refrain.

I will not as you have quite rightly predicted respond favourably.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Kevin Quigley

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼