The Sultans of Ping F.C.

My band slogged up and down the UK with Blur and Radiohead and hung out in hotel foyers until 4am. We supported Irish pop punks Sultans of Ping: their singer preened around the stage, looking like a hungry, raggedy hyena. He was in shiny, cerise-pink Lycra leggings, bare chest, thrusting his groin forcefully into the audience, licking his great big Jagger lips. He scowled at the audience and screamed: “Dancing in the disco, bumper to bumper.”

In the hotel with the Sultans post-gig, we drained the tequila supplies. I pulled out my childhood Irish dance skills, and careered off round the hotel lobby doing a high-kicking hornpipe to the cheers of a band of sweaty Sultans. I had been feeling so much the young uncool little sister that I was high on their approval. I danced faster, wilder, to the cries of “C’moan, dancing queen!” in thick Cork accents.

Saw them in the forum in 1994 with manhole supporting.

Puked everywhere and still managed to score.
Women these days are far too choosy ffs & keep blabbing on about their ovaries n shite

Manhole were unreal.

I only remember one tune though, Gronk..can't find anything from them online.

I haven't had the honour and privilege of seeing them live.

Seen them a few times, very messy.

Musically there is nothing in it for me, one or two songs were funny, watching a load of idiots(audience) lying on their backs on the ground doing a cycling motion, is overrated.

Last edited:
Thought they were only alright the one time I saw them, felt they were going through the motions. That was circa 96 so their best days were probably behind them.

Saw them in the forum in 1994 with manhole supporting.

Puked everywhere and still managed to score.
Women these days are far too choosy ffs & keep blabbing on about their ovaries n shite

Maybe the fact you're 25 years older might have something to do with it?

Anyway, never saw them live but O'Flaherty was at my 18th birthday party. I knew him to see from 1st Arts English. Never spoke much with him but thought he had a funny accent.

The Lost me Jumper song had some airplay on Fanning even before that, but it wasn't until a couple of years later it made the charts.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Blues Jam (Players Welcome)

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼