The smoking ban 20 years on.

If tobacco wasn't taxed up the hole you'd have a point. But it is, so you don't.
To clarify, I don’t support withdrawing access to free healthcare for cancer as a result of smoking. I was making the point that while the state does take very large amounts of tax from smoking it also has to fund a health service that can barely meet the demand of a growing population.

To clarify, I don’t support withdrawing access to free healthcare for cancer as a result of smoking. I was making the point that while the state does take very large amounts of tax from smoking it also has to fund a health service that can barely meet the demand of a growing population.
The health service is a disgraceful mismanagement of tax payers funds.
Could he sort that out now please?

I think smoking more or less pays for itself, cost 2 billion a year, revenue from taxes circa 2 billion.

The new culprit is obesity related diseases, which currently costs 2 and a half billion a year and rising each year.

Therefore we should really introduce a fat tax.

Simply have 3 check-outs, one for normal sized people, one for obese people, and one for the morbidly obese and tax them accordingly.

You could introduce a special dispensation for those who can claim it is glandular.

We currently live in a society where any activity considered harmful to the greater good is taxed to shit, all bar gluttony.

It's not just the health service that would benefit, we would also probably reach our desired levels of carbon emissions if these people consumed less exercised a bit more etc.

They are killing the planet and no one seems to have the stomach to tackle them.

I think smoking more or less pays for itself, cost 2 billion a year, revenue from taxes circa 2 billion.

The new culprit is obesity related diseases, which currently costs 2 and a half billion a year and rising each year.

Simply have 3 check-outs, one for normal sized people, one for obese people, and one for the morbidly obese and tax them accordingly.

You could introduce a special dispensation for those who can claim it is glandular.

We currently live in a society where any activity considered harmful to the greater good is taxed to shit, all bar gluttony.

It's not just the health service that would benefit, we would also probably reach our desired levels of carbon emissions if these people consumed less exercised a bit more etc.

They are killing the planet and no one seems to have the stomach to tackle them.
The morbidly obese already have a dedicated checkout. The McDonalds drive through.

Fu m8, I have big bones.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pierce Turner
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Oct 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

DJ Mossy (Crystal Bar)

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼