The Purpose of Existence

You hear it all the time.

"If there's no god or afterlife, there's no purpose. There's no real reason to live. What would be the point?"

It's a beginner's question. It's a question you could spend your life trying to answer, and it'd be a waste. There is no purpose, of course. Purpose is a very human-centric concept. We think in purposes and it's hard to disengage from that mindset.

But I think I've come up with an answer to the self-imposed purpose conundrum.

There is a doom. Heat death. Every star will die and the universe will be incompatible with life. It will come, and there is nothing we could currently do about it.

Or could we?

That, my sweet friends, is the answer you will currently find me giving when confronted by the purpose question. I'm ignoring love and kindness and all the rest of it, of course. That always smacked of the spiritual to me.

Initiate: "Fishy, if there's no god, there's no reason for us, no purpose. That's an awful way to live. What's the point in existing?"

Fishy: "The point, initiate, is to save the universe."

I am wickedly hungover.

What is purpose? - it's just a word, a man-made word - a sound which comes out of your mouth and into someone else's eardrums
Who does man think he is to invent language then expect that to be the explanation of the universe?
Nothing is real? it's just human interpretation on it
Language is a handy tool but it is just a man-made invention so the real purpose cannot be put into words because there aren't any words for it.

I believe each person has a purpose to live life they want to live. Mostly its about helping other people.

Starting philosophy tomorrow so my opinion could totally change on this topic

Also being kind has nothing to do with spirituality, you don't have to be spiritual in order to b kind to some one. Its just a case of bring nice to some one is so much better than bring nasty

I believe each person has a purpose to live life they want to live. Mostly its about helping other people.

Also being kind has nothing to do with spirituality, you don't have to be spiritual in order to b kind to some one. Its just a case of bring nice to some one is so much better than bring nasty

Watch out for Nietzche. Interesting stuff on how humanity has to get over god, and how tough it would be.

What's spirituality?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼