The Oscars

The Unholy Hypocrite said:
I saw Crash today for the first time. Have to say i enjoyed it.
I haven't seen Brokeback but i bought the book last week, so i have yet to read it

Haven't read it????

You wrote it girlfriend!

While not entirely thrilling this year, i wouldn't say that the oscars were completely shambolic. And while i'm not a fan of gratuitous praise for issue films, they can be good from time to time.

I do think that Brokeback was a really good movie. That and walk the line were the best oscar time movies i've seen all year. Walk the Line wasn't even nominated for best picture, which is a bit mad considering former winners include Shakespeare in love, Titanic and other such drivel.

I think Brokeback was robbed. The reason Crash made such an impact was because it hits that emotive chord. It's all very pretencious and convenient, but people like to believe that deep down they're not really racist. C'est la vie.

As for Brokeback being an issues film, I wouldn't necessarily say that. Philadelphia was an issues film, Crash was an issues film, Schindlers List was an issues film. Brokeback Mountain is a movie about a love story that was quite tragic due to circumstances. The facts that there are gay people in it doesn't necessarily make it a big Gay issues film. The lovers are just gay...

I am delighted to see justified results in the sctresses categories though.....Witherspoon did jusyice to June Carter who i love, and Rachel Weisz was FANtastic in the Constant Gardener....

trasnanadtonnta said:
Are people seriously suggesting that Brokeback Mountain didn't win because it was about gays? These are the people that told us Philadelphia was a great film like.

well, as emerh said philadelphia was an issues film, brokeback wasnt.hollywood loves that shit. brokeback wasnt like that at all. and did you see tom hanks fuck his boyfriend, jesus, did they even kiss? nice n safe for hollywood, much more so than brokeback. and there are alot of people saying that about why brokeback didnt win, yet there are alot more factors to take into account, metioned here already.

emerh said:
As for Brokeback being an issues film, I wouldn't necessarily say that. Philadelphia was an issues film, Crash was an issues film, Schindlers List was an issues film. Brokeback Mountain is a movie about a love story that was quite tragic due to circumstances. The facts that there are gay people in it doesn't necessarily make it a big Gay issues film. The lovers are just gay...

Absolutely.

Pimp

Interstellar Fugitive said:
Didnt actually watch them, but ang lee always comes accross well, no ego, just puts his head down and gets on with making his - usually brilliant - movies..

yeah Hulk was a triumph.

I especially enjoyed the pathos of the Hulk fights giant water goo and explodes scene, Cinema at its best.

hello, "RIDE WITH THE DEVIL"?

Incomprehensible garbled tosh, "the Ice Storm" was no classic either.
As fro crouching tiger, wirework does not a good story make.

Lee's entire filmography is patchy at best, the only thing he's done of any real merit was a solid adaptation of "sense & sensibility" and it takes a hand of epic proportions to cock up an austen adaptation.

he's a limited director and Brokeback is the latest in a long line of movies that has had praise heaped upon it as it deals with a supposedly controversial theme, i.e gay love.

As for PS Hoffman winning best actor, what a joke. His hackneyed limp wristed portrayal of Truman Capote had more in common with Big Gay Al than it did with the acid tongued scribe of Breakfast at Tiffanies.Hoffman is a great actor but he certainly didnt deserve the gong for this role. Joaquin can feel justly wronged for the snubbing of HIS magnificent as the man in black.

Saw good night and good luck last night, not upto much reLLY, VERY DISSAPOINTING.

ok, fair enough you dont like ang lee films, we'll agree to disagree, but if you didnt like anything from the oscars what did you rate this year. personally i havent seen as good a film as brokeback, but on the other hand hardly any as bad as crash

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Best Of Cork Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

25th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼