The Official PROC Restaurant review thread.

I've been to The River Club twice in the last month - once for lunch with the Crispette and then again for dinner with our friends & their kids.

It is distinctly average. The truffle fries are nothing more that frozen shoestring potatoes with garlic mayo and pre-grated parmesan - ne'er a truffle to be seen. Come to think of it - a lot of the food looks like it came off the back of a Sysco truck.

The place is certainly understaffed - one barman trying to blast out orders for the entire place, telling me that his shift ended an hour ago but relief hadn't arrived - all the while a stressed manager was on his mobile telling someone that they "had to come in" - "I know you're supposed to be off" instead of getting in behind the bar and doing the work.

Two positives - the place looks really well, a fair few bob has been spent on it and with the Christmas decorations up the other night it was even nicer. And secondly - the wait staff are fantastic - or at least the lady that served us was.

They don't validate parking which left a bit of a sour taste after dropping €285* before tip. "Validated car-parking is for guests only" - 2 cars @ €10 each to get out.

*5 x starter (2 adults has two starters for mains)
2 x adult mains
2 x kids menu
2 x kids dessert
2 x adult dessert
2 x coffee
1 x bottle red wine

All other bar drinks - pints/minerals/G&T not included in dinner bill.

I've been to The River Club twice in the last month - once for lunch with the Crispette and then again for dinner with our friends & their kids.

It is distinctly average. The truffle fries are nothing more that frozen shoestring potatoes with garlic mayo and pre-grated parmesan - ne'er a truffle to be seen. Come to think of it - a lot of the food looks like it came off the back of a Sysco truck.

The place is certainly understaffed - one barman trying to blast out orders for the entire place, telling me that his shift ended an hour ago but relief hadn't arrived - all the while a stressed manager was on his mobile telling someone that they "had to come in" - "I know you're supposed to be off" instead of getting in behind the bar and doing the work.

Two positives - the place looks really well, a fair few bob has been spent on it and with the Christmas decorations up the other night it was even nicer. And secondly - the wait staff are fantastic - or at least the lady that served us was.

They don't validate parking which left a bit of a sour taste after dropping €285* before tip. "Validated car-parking is for guests only" - 2 cars @ €10 each to get out.

2 x adult mains
2 x kids menu
2 x kids dessert
2 x adult dessert
2 x coffee
1 x bottle red wine

That's very cheeky about parking.

We had our kids christening lunch there and the food was really good, but we went back for dinner there just pre covid and thought it was very average.

2 x adult mains
2 x kids menu
2 x kids dessert
2 x adult dessert
2 x coffee
1 x bottle red wine

Is that the bar of the River Lee? Never been in but have always admired it when passing on Western Road, it is a great setting. Is it somewhere you could go in for a casual pint or is it more of a restaurant?

Great to hear so many positive comments about Goldie. The owner/chef is very impressive, she has worked hard to get where she is.

Is that the bar of the River Lee? Never been in but have always admired it when passing on Western Road, it is a great setting. Is it somewhere you could go in for a casual pint or is it more of a restaurant?

Great to hear so many positive comments about Goldie. The owner/chef is very impressive, she has worked hard to get where she is.
You can have a casual drink there as well. I've often met people for coffee in there. But hearing about the new policy on parking validation here, I won't be going back.

You can have a casual drink there as well. I've often met people for coffee in there. But hearing about the new policy on parking validation here, I won't be going back.

I suppose that you could have a casual drink at the bar. I mean - there are stools there - but it doesn't feel welcoming like a bar would and I say that as someone who goes for casual pints in Hayfield Manor every so often.

I suppose that you could have a casual drink at the bar. I mean - there are stools there - but it doesn't feel welcoming like a bar would and I say that as someone who goes for casual pints in Hayfield Manor every so often.

Can you go the Hayfield Manor bar for a pint??

The Imperial bar doesn't even look to be open anymore. I pass every night and while the lights are on and the Christmas Tree is up, it's always closed.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

13th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼