The Official NBA Thread

So the All-Star game is done and dusted and the season really begins now. The West looks stacked with The Suns, the Mavs and the Spurs all looking strong. The East as usual is much closer but is there anyone from that conference that can stop the Western champs?
The Heat will be a much better team in the second half of the season but how will Shaq be come playoff time or will another team emerge as legitimate playoff contenders come the end of the season, Detroit with C-Webb perhaps? -AmadeusDC-

the celtics, unbeaten in their last game, are my tip to make a late run at it.;)

The race at the botoom is arguably as interesting as the one at the top considering the draft pool available this year.

I think the las t week has prove that Phoenix are hugely (maybe too) reliant on Nash. Dallas look a class a part but I fear they may have another pychological breakdown come the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see if Kidd ends up at the Lakers. They could become big contenders . I've been hugely impressed with the Raptors, especially considering they started started the season 2-8. Bosh is quickly turning to one of the best players in the league and Bargnani is justifying his no1 draft position. I think they'll continue to improve and will be darkhorses this year

I dunno about that

I've seen them a few times lately and look shakey for the first time in a long while

i'd agree..can't see them taking phoenix or dallas over 7 games....

even though the West is obviously the superior conference when all said and done it's just one team from each goin at it..only have to look at miami and detroit in recent seasons to see that the best from the east can easliy match the west's best.

I hope the suns do it this year for the way they play alone

Possible big injury to Wade last night, they think dislocated his shoulder wrestling for a ball with Shane Battier. Since he's carrying them and they're only scraping along in eigth, losing him for a long period could put them out of the playoffs.

Have to say I don't think the Mavs will crumble this year, they've responded superbly. The bad start could have seen them limping through the regular season, but they got it together. Dallas have to be favourites, but I think Phoenix, San Antonio and Houston (especially if they land Mike James) could all beat them with a bit of luck.

The Spurs did stumble a little, but they're 4 of their last 5 again and it'll be interesting to see if they can put together the usual post-All Star charge.

In the East, Detroit are the only possibility. Larry Hughes is about due his yearly injury and LeBron doesn't have that spark most of the time, so I'm counting out the Cavs. I'm still not sure about Washington.

T-Mac looked quality last night. When he is in the mood there are few if any that can hang with him. I'm waiting to see how the Rockets do when Yao comes back, he had a great start to the season. -AmadeusDC-

Not a single deadline move last week. There's usually at least one, and you'd think someone would have done something, especially with Carter, Kidd, Gasol and Maggette all available.

the Arizona Republic: said:
After Miami's loss in Dallas on Thursday, O'Neal was engaged in an MVP discussion as it related to the Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki. O'Neal questioned how the media picks MVPs and said the award has been "tainted" the past two seasons. O'Neal was the runner-up for Nash's first MVP in 2005.

O'Neal repeated "tainted" references to reporters.

I wonder what he is trying to say here? If the Suns record with and without Nash in recent years is anything to go by then of course he is the leagues MVP or at least one of the couple who should legitimately be considered for it. It certainly isn't tainted as a result of him winning back to back. The award isn't most talented player, it is most valuable and when Nash plays Phoenix almost always win where as they are below 500 I believe when he is out. On Pardon The Interuption Kornheiser wondered if Shaq was taking a stab at white/foreign players or if it was just a go at the 2 big players on the Heat's biggest rivals. Wilbon apparently is gonna ask him at some press conference today. I'm interested to see what he (Shaq) was really trying to say or if he was just misquoted. -AmadeusDC-

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Afro House and Amapiano

Old Oak, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼