The official NATIONAL court report thread

Ok so...based on above, this bloke was no longer being attacked or was defending himself....and ran down the hall to kill yer man. Puts a different perspective on it alright.
It does.

That's what makes it manslaughter rather than acquittal. Self defence can be a full or partial defence depending on circumstances

According to reports Jack Power had been drinking all day and decided Kerrie had damaged his car, he drove to Kerrie's house with two friends and broke the front window with a rock.

The judge criticised Mr. Kerrie – and this is a direct quote – for not being capable “of identifying what alternative course of action he could have taken.”
Sorry but its all well and good to say this but what was he supposed to do. Harsh language?

Your man was 25 and much bigger than him.

Kerrie used the nearest weapon he could find, who among us could say they wouldnt do similar?
Power deliberately broke into someone’s home to do them harm.

It is very easy for Judge McDermott to sit, after the event, and pronounce that the force used was excessive. He was not there.

The usual suspect's take on this sentence, of course, is that perhaps the Judge had access to more facts than we, the plebian masses do.
But that’s all well and good, only if you’re someone who looks at the record of the Irish courts and thinks “yeah, they usually get it right”. :rolleyes:
Why do you keep blaming the judge for the verdict of the jury?

That's not true though.

Otherwise anytime a person feels in danger they have carte blanche to kill.
You say kill, I say stopping an intruder in his home protecting himself and family. Brave lad tbf @ 17. The farmer case in Mayo is worst than this because he shot the traveller in the back (I think) whilst he was fleeing. He was acquitted after appeal.

9 times out of 10 when it come to the law I would side with you but this is a travesty

That's not true though.

Otherwise anytime a person feels in danger they have carte blanche to kill.
In the event of someone breaking into their house they sometimes do.
Once again Pat Nally.
In fact if I remember correctly he shot him in the back.
After a retrial found innocent and walked.

Why do you keep blaming the judge for the verdict of the jury?

Do you not understand quotation marks?

Heres a direct quote of what McDermott said "Dean Kerrie was entitled to use force in defence of himself, but the force he used was ‘grossly’ excessive".

How does a judge and jury deem the force used in this instance 'excessive'?
The first jury certainly couldn’t.

A clear case of the courts failing someone defending themselves and their family.

Do you not understand quotation marks?

Heres a direct quote of what McDermott said "Dean Kerrie was entitled to use force in defence of himself, but the force he used was ‘grossly’ excessive".

How does a judge and jury deem the force used in this instance 'excessive'?
The first jury certainly couldn’t.

A clear case of the courts failing someone defending themselves and their family.
All I take from this is that only 1 person had a knife. That's where excessive force comes from. If the deceased had a knife too all bets would have been off.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼