The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Funny to read but methinks if POM makes it back through the HIAs and plays in the next test, no matter what happens on the scoreboard he'll be made pay severely for that lack for respect by a hurting nz team.

Whitelock too will be a big plus for them if he plays next week.

Top proffessionals of the sport slugging it out and they've some officiating that wouldn't even have been tolerated in the amateur days. Some horrendously bad big decisions all of which again seemed to favour nz. Don't know if it's a home-town decision thing, a southern hemisphere decision thing, or just an utterly incompetent decision thing. And not just by the ref in real time, but by the TMO too who has no excuse.

Anybody lip reading what Cane said to O'Mahony before it? He hardly just burst out with it in fairness to him.

If there isn't a massive New Zealand backlash next week then I think that confirms beyond doubt that this is their worst side in decades.
They also won't be going near a WC unless they manage to learn how to go through a game without committing at least 1 clear red card offence.

With Savea and Whitelock there are a totally different prospect though. We'd be very foolish to think the same 15 and game will work as easily again. Throwing Coombes in would be a well worthwhile gamble imho.

Ratellic is only 31 but Whitelock is 33 and their presence is vital to NZ's WC chances imho. The air of invulnerability that NZ held where they were already psychologically ahead in their opponents minds is disappearing brick by brick. They're still a good team and they've a production line likely to unearth, or import ;), great players, but there's a major crack in their invincibility, both in their own minds and in that of their opponents like Ireland.

Just like ourselves. They would wipe the floor with is in a competitive fixture.

AFAIK we don't actively tour other countries giving scholarships to young players with potential in order that they'd foresake the land of their birth and play for us instead.

As for wiping the floor with us in a competitive fixture I don't think any of that NZ team relished the thought of being a member of the first NZ team to be beaten in NZ by an Irish team in a quasi-competitive match. As I say, some of their sense (in both teams) of invincibility will have been tarnished.

Still a great rugby nation and team, and still above us, but had we won by more than 15 points the other day, with Wales beating SA, I think I'm right in saying that Ireland could have been number one (even for a while) in world rankings. As it is we're second behind France I know world rankings don't count for much out on the pitch but it can show where teams are progressing. And at the moment we're doing not bad at all.

I doubt NZ will be taking "wiping the floor with Ireland" as a foregone conclusion the way they may have in the past.

Ratellic is only 31 but Whitelock is 33 and their presence is vital to NZ's WC chances imho. The air of invulnerability that NZ held where they were already psychologically ahead in their opponents minds is disappearing brick by brick. They're still a good team and they've a production line likely to unearth, or import ;), great players, but there's a major crack in their invincibility, both in their own minds and in that of their opponents like Ireland.
That's the point, now we know Ireland can beat NZ in any fixture. Even 10 years ago, don't think many would really believe that in a world cup knockout match, Ireland realistically had a chance

That's the point, now we know Ireland can beat NZ in any fixture. Even 10 years ago, don't think many would really believe that in a world cup knockout match, Ireland realistically had a chance

Big difference here HBB, NZ target peaking at the RWC, we target peaking around it

Big difference here HBB, NZ target peaking at the RWC, we target peaking around it

There undoubtedly is a bit of that but if I was a NZ fan I'd be very worried about backup for Whitelock in particular and Ratellick too. They're not the same team without them. If youre not winning primary ball it's difficult if not impossible to mesmerise your opponents no matter how good your backs are.
And I don't think WC officials will be as lenient on obviously crooked lineout throws as NZ got away with and had to rely on without Whitelock.

It’s a strange one, usually that would be the case for NZ but there seems to be massive concerns down there with the coaching ticket, the player succession planning and so on. They could be sleepwalking into a disaster themselves.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Hank Wedel
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Henry Glassie: Fieldwork (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8:05pm

More events ▼