the official ireland euro 2012 qualifying campaign

We'll never have a better chance at winning a group

Be jayzus, that's a fairly sweeping statement, isn't it? Like, we have a fair chance of winning it or coming second, but we've got an arguably weaker squad than even Staunton had. Slovakia and Russia are rightly ranked above us.

Russia will probably top the group with ourselves and Slovakia battling it out for second. I'm not hugely confident. We couldn't beat Italy (while Slovakia could) or France at home (largely due to Trap's tactics IMO) and we know what a shambles both of them were. Remember, for all the hand of Henry furore, we actually lost to them in Croke Park. Now, our lads are two years older and the likes of Keane and Duff (and Kilbane, god help us) are past their best. It'll be a tough slog.

Be jayzus, that's a fairly sweeping statement, isn't it? Like, we have a fair chance of winning it or coming second, but we've got an arguably weaker squad than even Staunton had. Slovakia and Russia are rightly ranked above us.

no we have a good team. there good teams aswell but i could see us taking them. neither of them are as good as people are making out.

I think a lot of people are overlooking Macedonia.

i dont think we are, but we have to expect beat the likes of them. there is just 2 million population and a very average league there

we have generally done quite well against the likes of these teams in the past, beating them in dublin and getting at least a draw away, the 2 draws against montenegro last time were not good enough though and i still havent forgotten the fuckin macedonian late goal in 99 that killed that campaign, but that was bad management more than anything else. We have the right man in place and that wont happen now.

no we have a good team. there good teams aswell but i could see us taking them. neither of them are as good as people are making out.

I don't see us getting any points in Russia, although we could feasibly beat them in Landsdowne. As someone rightly pointed out, the way we are set up is for a team looking to come second, rather than win outright.

i dont think we are, but we have to expect beat the likes of them. there is just 2 million population and a very average league there

we have generally done quite well against the likes of these teams in the past, beating them in dublin and getting at least a draw away, the 2 draws against montenegro last time were not good enough though and i still havent forgotten the fuckin macedonian late goal in 99 that killed that campaign, but that was bad management more than anything else. We have the right man in place and that wont happen now.

Much like ourselves they have a very average league but their best players play abroad ie. Pandev and Popov

I expect them to give Russia and Slovakia a tough time of it as well

i'm hoping the move to russia will improve mcgeady. i know the celtic fans on here think he's great but he has consistently underperformed for ireland (to the point where he lost his place). perhaps a change of environment will make him kick on.

or, of course, it could be a disaster.

has celtic's interest in lawrence cooled?

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sarah Buckley & Bróna Keogh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Old No.7

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼