The Official Athletics Thread

Yeah, Mawdsley has really come on, which is great. Two good battles the two days, with the Brit and with Bol. If the others could just find half a second each.....Becker and Phil H.

Ireland becoming a consistant relay finalist is nothing short of a Cinderella story.

Its about as unlikely a sporting achievement any you would care to mention.

Its Ireland Beating England and Pakistan at cricket.

It's Kerry Winning a munster Hurling final.

It's Leicester winning the Premier League

It's the Rugby Team getting to a world cup semi final.

All of that performance was enabled by Rashidat Adeleke. before the final in Budapest we were saying keying off Leike Klaver would be a good thing. She's a clear level above Klaver this year its not close. And its only May

Adeleke (48.45); the fastest female split of the entire weekend,

Marileidy Paulino managed (48.93);

Femke Bol (49.54)

Shaunae Miller-Uibo (49.54).

Sharlene Mawsdsley went 50.12 i think she can crack 50 this year. She mentioned it as a goal after world indoors. its looking like its within her grasp. Not a sure thing by any means but her rate of improvement is impressive.

The mens 400m national champs will be spiced up nicely too. The likes of Chris O'Donnell will be itching to get onto this squad.

Also the final of the women's 400m is on the evening session after the 4x400m heats so for Ireland to qualify they'll need Cadden or Harrison to deputise for Adeleke (perhaps Mawdsley? not likely but stranger things have happened) Great they got to see the big buildup and rub shoulders and a few elbows with a bunch of them last night

Yeah, that puts down a marker. Unless Klaver is in the middle of ridiculously hard training, it's saying, "You're not a direct rival anymore. Now I'm gunning for Femke" Miller Uibo is back in the mix I believe. As we stand, you'd have Adeleke where? Top 3?

Yeah, that puts down a marker. Unless Klaver is in the middle of ridiculously hard training, it's saying, "You're not a direct rival anymore. Now I'm gunning for Femke" Miller Uibo is back in the mix I believe. As we stand, you'd have Adeleke where? Top 3?
Do you have McLaughlin and Wilson in the convo as well?

I haven't really been following the Yanks, just saw a couple of Diamond Leagues and some of the weekend stuff. There'll be people step up of course between now and August. I'd say you'd have to be around 49.00 for a medal in Paris.

I haven't really been following the Yanks, just saw a couple of Diamond Leagues and some of the weekend stuff. There'll be people step up of course between now and August. I'd say you'd have to be around 49.00 for a medal in Paris.
I’d say you’ll need a bit lower than that C. Mid to low 48 I reckon

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

21st Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Centre Stage School Footworks 2024

Cork Opera House, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼