The global economic crisis is ending

There, I'm calling it.

While smaller countries such as Ireland might still experience a bit more recession, I reckon the worse is over and we're well on our way towards a recovery.

Usually my hunches on this are right, I've got a very strong feeling on this one and some excellent evidence that not only is the recession just about over, recovery will be swift and strong. In fact, my suspicion is that Ireland's recovery will be stronger than most. With light employment regulation, one of the fastest processes for creating companies and a very well educated workforce, I reckon everything is in place to bounce straight back again

I should note that unemployment lags the recovery from a recession. So unemployment might continue to grow for 6-12 months more, but then should recover once sentiment recovers. Ireland is going to have higher unemployment than it did in the boom, all those builders aren't going to get their jobs back, but it'll improve nonetheless.

Put your stories about the global recovery in this thread.

Here's my first:
Ten pointers on how to think like a German

By Ralph Atkins

Published: August 9 2009 19:44 | Last updated: August 9 2009 19:44

Germany approaches national elections next month having suffered its worst recession since the second world war. Until recently, the scale of its economic contraction – almost 4 per cent in the first three months of this year – would have been inconceivable for such an advanced, politically stable industrial nation.

Yet it has been hard to sense an acute crisis. Living in Germany in the late 1990s, when the country was suffering its post-unification hangover, there was more self-reproach and debate about its economic model. The lesson of the current crisis is that however much the world’s economies have converged, Germany ticks differently.

Here are 10 surprising aspects of the German economy and economic thought that together could explain why the Teutons are toughing it out.

First, Germany might beat the UK and US in escaping from recession. As global prospects brighten, its export-led economy is firing up. Industrial orders – which lie close to the German soul – are up 13 per cent since February. June export and industrial production data on Friday even left open a possibility that second-quarter growth figures this week could be positive.

Jörg Krämer, chief economist at Commerzbank and previously one of the great German gloomsters, reckons gross domestic product could grow by as much as 1 per cent in the current quarter. If you are American, and prefer bigger-looking annualised numbers, that would be a 4 per cent rise. True, Germany’s fortunes hang on the world outlook; Mr Krämer expects only a “mini-V” shaped recovery, with growth remaining “anaemic” longer term. But anything other than weakly positive growth would diverge from the trend over the past decade.

Second, consumers have been unfairly maligned. Germany has long consumed too little, while investing heavily and running large trade surpluses, thus contributing to global economic imbalances. So since the start of the crisis, Berlin has been berated internationally for not doing enough to boost domestic demand. In fact, consumer spending rose by 0.5 per cent in the first quarter – the most since mid-2007 – thanks largely to government incentives for new car sales, and stable employment. Goldman Sachs reckons consumer spending rose 0.2 per cent in the second quarter, while the US had a 0.3 per cent fall.

Third, Berlin still doesn’t get it. Economists rubbed their eyes in disbelief at the May interview in Die Zeit with Peer Steinbrück, finance minister, in which he apparently forgot about the notoriously conservative shopping habits of his compatriots, to complain that “as a society we have, compared to what we have produced, consumed too much and invested too little”.

Fourth, unemployment has actually fallen since April in eastern Germany, which is less export-dependent than the country overall. Joblessness there is still unforgivably high, and nobody expects the downward trend to last. But the fall shows jobs are not being shed as rapidly as in previous recessions, thanks largely to government-funded short-time working schemes.

Five, politicians still think they can create jobs just by announcing targets. Frank-Walter Steinmeier, the Social Democratic challenger in September’s elections, pledged last week to create 4m jobs by 2020. Perhaps he had forgotten how worthless similar pledges by former chancellors Helmut Kohl and Gerhard Schröder eventually proved.

Six, the housing market, which has been flat for a decade, is stirring. The latest Bundesbank bank lending survey showed demand for home loans recovering much faster than in the eurozone as a whole. Young Germans see this is a good time to lock in at low interest rates. Or maybe, disheartened by financial assets, they are turning to bricks and mortar to save for their old age.

Seven, in spite of everything, relying on exports and trade surpluses is still widely seen as the only option for a rapidly ageing society. Germany’s birth rate fell to just 8.2 per 1,000 population last year, the lowest in the European Union. Politicians fret about a rising phobia towards children, as shown in complaints about noisy kindergartens in residential areas. “Society has to an extent fallen out of the habit of thinking of the needs of children – because, quite simply, there are not so many of them,” a Social Democrat social policy spokesman told a local newspaper recently.

Eight, Germans might not be as worried about future inflation as popularly supposed. An FT/Harris poll last month showed that people in the US were more worried that actions by governments and central banks would trigger short-term inflation.

Nine, Germans’ holidays remain inviolable. The same FT poll showed that just 9 per cent would reduce their holiday budget this year.

Ten, German beer sales may be tumbling because of the crisis – sales in the first half of 2009 were the lowest since reunification – but organisers of Munich’s Oktoberfest say hotel bookings are in line with previous years. The beer festival will be in full flow as the country votes on September 27. It takes more than a global crisis to stop Germans putting on traditional dress and dancing on the table.

Nah, redundancy money is going to run out, savings and overdrafts are going to run out and credit cards will be impossible to get. HSBC took theirs off me because I wasn't using it.

There's another round coming.

I've been thinking the same thing. In fact, I called the end of the US recession in June.

But now, things look better in all the other G7 economies apart from Italy. The only major worry is that there appears to be the beginnings of an asset bubble developing in China.

How do you reckon this will affect Ireland? While the ending of recession in our export markets will be good news for some, so much of our economy was built on domestic consumption, I can't see anything more than stability emerging here.

My portfolio has seriously recovered in the last 3 months.

I'm still down, mind - but in a lot better place than I was at the beginning of this year.

Hell, I may even buy a bottle of Sancerre this evening.

There, I'm calling it.

While smaller countries such as Ireland might still experience a bit more recession, I reckon the worse is over and we're well on our way towards a recovery.

Usually my hunches on this are right, I've got a very strong feeling on this one and some excellent evidence that not only is the recession just about over, recovery will be swift and strong. In fact, my suspicion is that Ireland's recovery will be stronger than most. With light employment regulation, one of the fastest processes for creating companies and a very well educated workforce, I reckon everything is in place to bounce straight back again

I should note that unemployment lags the recovery from a recession. So unemployment might continue to grow for 6-12 months more, but then should recover once sentiment recovers. Ireland is going to have higher unemployment than it did in the boom, all those builders aren't going to get their jobs back, but it'll improve nonetheless.

Put your stories about the global recovery in this thread.

Here's my first:
Ten pointers on how to think like a German

By Ralph Atkins

Published: August 9 2009 19:44 | Last updated: August 9 2009 19:44

Germany approaches national elections next month having suffered its worst recession since the second world war. Until recently, the scale of its economic contraction – almost 4 per cent in the first three months of this year – would have been inconceivable for such an advanced, politically stable industrial nation.

Yet it has been hard to sense an acute crisis. Living in Germany in the late 1990s, when the country was suffering its post-unification hangover, there was more self-reproach and debate about its economic model. The lesson of the current crisis is that however much the world’s economies have converged, Germany ticks differently.

Here are 10 surprising aspects of the German economy and economic thought that together could explain why the Teutons are toughing it out.

First, Germany might beat the UK and US in escaping from recession. As global prospects brighten, its export-led economy is firing up. Industrial orders – which lie close to the German soul – are up 13 per cent since February. June export and industrial production data on Friday even left open a possibility that second-quarter growth figures this week could be positive.

Jörg Krämer, chief economist at Commerzbank and previously one of the great German gloomsters, reckons gross domestic product could grow by as much as 1 per cent in the current quarter. If you are American, and prefer bigger-looking annualised numbers, that would be a 4 per cent rise. True, Germany’s fortunes hang on the world outlook; Mr Krämer expects only a “mini-V” shaped recovery, with growth remaining “anaemic” longer term. But anything other than weakly positive growth would diverge from the trend over the past decade.

Second, consumers have been unfairly maligned. Germany has long consumed too little, while investing heavily and running large trade surpluses, thus contributing to global economic imbalances. So since the start of the crisis, Berlin has been berated internationally for not doing enough to boost domestic demand. In fact, consumer spending rose by 0.5 per cent in the first quarter – the most since mid-2007 – thanks largely to government incentives for new car sales, and stable employment. Goldman Sachs reckons consumer spending rose 0.2 per cent in the second quarter, while the US had a 0.3 per cent fall.

Third, Berlin still doesn’t get it. Economists rubbed their eyes in disbelief at the May interview in Die Zeit with Peer Steinbrück, finance minister, in which he apparently forgot about the notoriously conservative shopping habits of his compatriots, to complain that “as a society we have, compared to what we have produced, consumed too much and invested too little”.

Fourth, unemployment has actually fallen since April in eastern Germany, which is less export-dependent than the country overall. Joblessness there is still unforgivably high, and nobody expects the downward trend to last. But the fall shows jobs are not being shed as rapidly as in previous recessions, thanks largely to government-funded short-time working schemes.

Five, politicians still think they can create jobs just by announcing targets. Frank-Walter Steinmeier, the Social Democratic challenger in September’s elections, pledged last week to create 4m jobs by 2020. Perhaps he had forgotten how worthless similar pledges by former chancellors Helmut Kohl and Gerhard Schröder eventually proved.

Six, the housing market, which has been flat for a decade, is stirring. The latest Bundesbank bank lending survey showed demand for home loans recovering much faster than in the eurozone as a whole. Young Germans see this is a good time to lock in at low interest rates. Or maybe, disheartened by financial assets, they are turning to bricks and mortar to save for their old age.

Seven, in spite of everything, relying on exports and trade surpluses is still widely seen as the only option for a rapidly ageing society. Germany’s birth rate fell to just 8.2 per 1,000 population last year, the lowest in the European Union. Politicians fret about a rising phobia towards children, as shown in complaints about noisy kindergartens in residential areas. “Society has to an extent fallen out of the habit of thinking of the needs of children – because, quite simply, there are not so many of them,” a Social Democrat social policy spokesman told a local newspaper recently.

Eight, Germans might not be as worried about future inflation as popularly supposed. An FT/Harris poll last month showed that people in the US were more worried that actions by governments and central banks would trigger short-term inflation.

Nine, Germans’ holidays remain inviolable. The same FT poll showed that just 9 per cent would reduce their holiday budget this year.

Ten, German beer sales may be tumbling because of the crisis – sales in the first half of 2009 were the lowest since reunification – but organisers of Munich’s Oktoberfest say hotel bookings are in line with previous years. The beer festival will be in full flow as the country votes on September 27. It takes more than a global crisis to stop Germans putting on traditional dress and dancing on the table.

Thank God someone has the guts to post exactly what I have been thinking.

I am involved in 2 industries both connected to the property and construction industries and the ammount of enquiries and new business in the past month has been staggering as it has flatlined since last December.Consultants young and lean are getting together and putting together more economical packages without the old outdated work practices of the old guard i.e. lower fees and realistic costs.

It had been a staggering fall and the bounce will be bigger as we have reached bottom and it will take a rough winter with more employment losses but its the silly season and every rent a quote economist is commenting on property etc.Costs have fallen rapidly and will make us more attractive to F.D.I. with the
lowest corporation tax in the Eurozone.

A young well educated workforce without the opportunity to head to London or the U.S. will ensure swift change at all levels of business.

All bets are off and everything is up for grabs.

The only real lag in Ireland is sorting out the banks and NAMA.

Last Updated: Monday, August 10, 2009, 12:40Industrial production rises 4.3% in June
Annual production in the manufacturing sector rose 4.3 per cent in June 2009, according to figures from the Central Statistics Office.

The growth was driven by a 35 per cent rise in output in the pharmaceutical industry. However, production in the computer, electronic and optical products sector fell 17.7 per cent in the same period.

Meanwhile the "modern" Sector, which includes a number of high-technology and chemical sectors, showed a 16 per cent rise in production for June 2009. In contrast, the "traditional" sector fell 16.6 per cent.

Turnover for manufacturing industries was 0.6 per cent lower when compared with June 2008.

Seasonally adjusted figures for the three month period April to June showed the volume of industrial production fell 2 per cent compared to the preceding three month period. The seasonally adjusted industrial turnover index for for the same three-month period showed a 1.9 per cent decline.

Seperately, a new survey on manufacturing in the EU said the outlook for the sector was turning positive. The Business Outlook Survey for European manufacturing, produced by Markit Economics for KPMG, questioned about 3,700 manufacturers across the region on their thoughts on future business conditions.

It said that confidence in Ireland is "relatively muted" but is more positive than six months ago.

"Irish business has particular concerns about profitability and weak domestic demand and it is difficult to see this changing in the short term," KPMG’s head of consumer and industrial markets in Ireland Roger Gillespie.

"This report highlights the continuing difficulties faced by Irish manufacturing – however there are some slight rays of hope in that a small majority of respondents see planned levels of business activity rising."

Thank God someone has the guts to post exactly what I have been thinking.

I am involved in 2 industries both connected to the property and construction industries and the ammount of enquiries and new business in the past month has been staggering as it has flatlined since last December.Consultants young and lean are getting together and putting together more economical packages without the old outdated work practices of the old guard i.e. lower fees and realistic costs.

Good to hear.

The govt really need to push this scheme they have for retraining the under-50's in science/eng/comm roles, to catch the upturn.

That's all well and good for Germany et al., but this country will most likely be in the doldrums for many years to come. And if this NAMA madness gets the go ahead, you can probably replace years with centuries. And what about when our youngest and brightest start to flee abroad as soon as other places pick up?

That's all well and good for Germany et al., but this country will most likely be in the doldrums for many years to come. And if this NAMA madness gets the go ahead, you can probably replace years with centuries. And what about when our youngest and brightest start to flee abroad as soon as other places pick up?

Its worse than I thought :crazyeye:

Ah, I was going to say decades, but you out-hystericised me...

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Sean Hardware

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼