The County Board Complaints Thread

Does Frank Need To Go

• Total voters
County medals are things prized by players and their families. For most of these u19 players (a good few hundred of them), this county medal is the biggest award they would or will achieve in their GAA playing career. For the county board executive to take a position that they won't award medals, and the players' clubs can give 'em whatever medals they want to, is an insulting disrespect to these players. These players will perceive whatever they get instead to be macyeeya medals, and the competition to have been a macyeeya competition. The players who competed and lost may even consider that they only lost out in a macyeeya competition anyway. Basically that's kind of the reason given too - i.e. these 23 u19 competitions were not like the other county competitions so the county board won't award medals for them.

This is a very big mistake. We all make 'em, and those who do most make most of 'em. The great thing about this mistake though is that it is so easily reversed. If there's anybody reading here who is connected to anybody in the county executive, and who agrees to any extent with the point I am making, please please advise them that this is a big mistake that should be reversed immediately - and all credit will go to them for recognizing the mistake and reversing it. Don't leave this bad taste linger into the season of club-AGMs, and club-end-of-year-medal-ceremonies.

Last edited:
County medals are things prized by players and their families. For most of these u19 players (a good few hundred of them), this county medal is the biggest award they would or will achieve in their GAA playing career. For the county board executive to take a position that they won't award medals, and the players' clubs can give 'em whatever medals they want to, is an insulting disrespect to these players. These players will perceive whatever they get instead to be macyeeya medals, and the competition to have been a macyeeya competition. The players who competed and lost may even consider that they only lost out in a macyeeya competition anyway. Basically that's kind of the reason given too - i.e. these 23 u19 competitions were not like the other county competitions so the county board won't award medals for them.

This is a very big mistake. We all make 'em, and those who do most make most of 'em. The great thing about this mistake though is that it is so easily reversed. If there's anybody reading here who is connected to anybody in the county executive, and who agrees to any extent with the point I am making, please please advise them that this is a big mistake that should be reversed immediately - and all credit will go to them for recognizing the mistake and reversing it. Don't leave this bad taste linger into the season of club-AGMs, and club-end-of-year-medal-ceremonies.
Just for clarity I think there were only 8 County finals, the rest were regional finals. An awful decision none the less

Just for clarity I think there were only 8 County finals, the rest were regional finals. An awful decision none the less
I had understood that @red&blue. But was it the divisions that organized/ran those regional competitions/finals or was it the county board? (I honestly don't know, but I think it might have been the CCB).

Anyway, look I just hope that this decision is reversed - it's a pretty long standing tradition, and thus a reasonable expectation by players, that players in a winning championship competition team are awarded medals by whatever unit of the organization organizes the competition.

Last edited:
While the debt on Pairc ui chaoimh is obviously still a huge issue, I'm glad the county chairman referenced a Centre of Excellence.
It's something that should still be planned away for even if it's years away.
Cork need some place central with about 4/5 pitches where all development squads and county panels can train. Gym facility, etc. Location I'm not sure?
But some place easily accessible traffic wise where it's not a burden or hassle for parents dropping lads off

I had understood that @red&blue. But was it the divisions that organized/ran those regional competitions/finals or was it the county board? (I honestly don't know, but I think it might have been the CCB).

Anyway, look I just hope that this decision is reversed - it's a pretty long standing tradition, and thus a reasonable expectation by players, that players in a winning championship competition team are awarded medals by whatever unit of the organization organizes the competition.
I’m presuming it was the county Board that organised all the different regional competitions but god knows. The East, West, Notth and Mid winners went foward to the County semi finals, and there was also Premier 1 and Premier 2 competitions so whoever organised them regions must have known there were County semi finals for the winners. Mad to think the board won’t now recognise them as County Championships

Last edited:

It's a mad one - in general I think the K O'Donovan is very savvy and would have headed this off, how much could a few set's of medals cost, sometimes Sheehan comes across like a rabbit in the headlights and might "enjoy" his position a bit too much

While the debt on Pairc ui chaoimh is obviously still a huge issue, I'm glad the county chairman referenced a Centre of Excellence.
It's something that should still be planned away for even if it's years away.
Cork need some place central with about 4/5 pitches where all development squads and county panels can train. Gym facility, etc. Location I'm not sure?
But some place easily accessible traffic wise where it's not a burden or hassle for parents dropping lads off
It's good to hear - but it should never be forgotten that the P ui C development was supposed to encompass a Center of Excellence, when from the very beginning it was going to have nothing more than the 3G pitch and a new gym outside of the main stadium.
Also worth remembering the likes of Bob, Pearce and Franks other buddies who claimed that we'd have a debt free stadium and C.of. Ec.
Two other points:
The stadium, while relatively new has a lifespan of 20 - 25 yrs, so it;s likely that we'll only have the debt cleared 5 - 10 yrs before the next significant development begins.
Any center of excellence development should be done in conjunction with other sports bodies, 3rd level institutions and municipal bodies, to cater for a wide variety of needs across high performance sports and save by sharing facilities

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pierce Turner
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Oct 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Complete Madness Ireland

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 4pm

More events ▼