The Action Plan for Housing.

There was a rally in town for the right to housing

Mick Barry thinks that increasing the minimum wage will help solve the crisis does he? All that would do is normalise high rents by making them more affordable, in relative terms.

Also I'd love to see a survey of local businesses if they were asked how they feel about a €15 minimum wage. Can't see too many cafes or bars in favour of a 40% increase in their labour costs.

Also I think that talk of forcing landlords to cut rents is absolutely terrifying. So many of them are leaving the market as it is, and that is only going to be exacerbated if restrictions are put on their incomes and selling up is more viable than renting the property out.

I had a look this morning and there are just 25 properties available to rent in Cork City. Most of those are 3-4 bed suburban houses too. If you want to rent an apartment in Cork, it ain't happening.

If for whatever reason my landlord decided to sell up, I'd be moving back with the parents, or living on the street, because there is nowhere else to go.

The likes of Mick Barry seem oblivious to how that would be a direct result of his proposed market interference.

Rant over.

“There is a deadly combination of low pay and high rents, and we urgently need a €15-an-hour minimum wage, and we urgently need legislation which doesn’t just freeze rents, but actually cuts them, because they are at unreasonable, unjust levels,” Deputy Barry said.

Last edited:
Two things MOE.

It isn't Mick Barry who created this crisis/shortage, it's Fine gael and FF, who've been in power since day dot. Mick Barry can protest all he likes, he has little power in reality. If your landlord did sell up ( and I sincerely hope that doesn't happen), I'd say your anger should be directed at that lot instead.

Cafes, restaurants etc might have no choice but to significantly raise their wages anyway. The hospitality industry in this country has treated its workforce like shit for years. Its my estimation that a sizable amount of those workers got a taste of work/life balance over the pandemic and thought "na, fuck going back to that shit" once the pandemic ended.

I've very little sympathy for them now when I hear them bleating about how they can't get staff.

Two things MOE.

It isn't Mick Barry who created this crisis/shortage, it's Fine gael and FF, who've been in power since day dot. Mick Barry can protest all he likes, he has little power in reality. If your landlord did sell up ( and I sincerely hope that doesn't happen), I'd say your anger should be directed at that lot instead.

Cafes, restaurants etc might have no choice but to significantly raise their wages anyway. The hospitality industry in this country has treated its workforce like shit for years. Its my estimation that a sizable amount of those workers got a taste of work/life balance over the pandemic and thought "na, fuck going back to that shit" once the pandemic ended.

I've very little sympathy for them now when I hear them bleating about how they can't get staff.
What do you think will happen if minimum wage goes up to that amount ?

Here I will tell you, the coffee for sale in those cafes will also go up, as well as everything else.

All the stuff people buy will also go up.

Suddenly over time that minimum wage rise will be deemed not sufficient and there will be more demands from head bangers for more and more raises.

That pushes up inflation and wheelbarrows will be needed to carry cash rather than wallets.

I am glad we are controlled by the ECB because if it was still politically and the Central Bank here we would be heading for those 20% interest rates again 🙄

Two things MOE.

I agree, I worked in hospitality for years and barely earned minimum wage, but was expected to work crazy hours, deal with pricks, clean up after people etc. A horrible job and I also have little sympathy for anyone that can't find staff when they're not willing to pay for them.

Regarding the housing crisis, I don't think that a blame game benefits anyone. I can't change what FFG have done in the past, I can only hope that they will do something in the future. And I think there's a lot more hope of the housing crisis being solved by FFG than any of the alternative political options.

There were 20,000 new builds last year, of which 7k were apartments. If SF et al had their way and pushed out the institutional investors, our new supply figures would have been cut by a third.

Mick Barry's policies would only cause more damage to the market. There's no point in trying to point fingers at parties for why we are where we are, the priority must be to find the best way to fix things.

And SF/Mick Barry are not the answer

What do you think will happen if minimum wage goes up to that amount ?

Here I will tell you, the coffee for sale in those cafes will also go up, as well as everything else.

All the stuff people buy will also go up.

Suddenly over time that minimum wage rise will be deemed not sufficient and there will be more demands from head bangers for more and more raises.

That pushes up inflation and wheelbarrows will be needed to carry cash rather than wallets.

I am glad we are controlled by the ECB because if it was still politically and the Central Bank here we would be heading for those 20% interest rates again 🙄
M8, we were all told introducing a minimum wage would destroy the economy. Every single raise since, the same.

It wasn't the min wage that caused 2008 though, it was.the wreckers speculation by property developers, a shit regulator, worse banks and messiah like faith in the free market.

M8, we were all told introducing a minimum wage would destroy the economy. Every single raise since, the same.

It wasn't the min wage that caused 2008 though, it was.the wreckers speculation by property developers, a shit regulator, worse banks and messiah like faith in the free market.
Have we ever had a 40% increase in the minimum wage though?

Surely the MW should rise in line with inflation?

I agree, I worked in hospitality for years and barely earned minimum wage, but was expected to work crazy hours, deal with pricks, clean up after people etc. A horrible job and I also have little sympathy for anyone that can't find staff when they're not willing to pay for them.

Regarding the housing crisis, I don't think that a blame game benefits anyone. I can't change what FFG have done in the past, I can only hope that they will do something in the future. And I think there's a lot more hope of the housing crisis being solved by FFG than any of the alternative political options.

There were 20,000 new builds last year, of which 7k were apartments. If SF et al had their way and pushed out the institutional investors, our new supply figures would have been cut by a third.

Mick Barry's policies would only cause more damage to the market. There's no point in trying to point fingers at parties for why we are where we are, the priority must be to find the best way to fix things.

And SF/Mick Barry are not the answer
Fair enough.

I wouldn't vote for FF or FG at gunpoint, we'll just agree to disagree 😃

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

22nd May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼