Teachers

I know you’re having the bantz, but why would teachers not have their teaching experience abroad counted? What engineer, architect, solicitor, electrician, plumber, accountant or whatever comes home from a stint abroad and has the years cancelled off their CV? That makes no sense

The truth is that the Dept of Education are happy acknowledge their experience and offer them positions, but then turn the years abroad against them for their salary only

To discourage younger people from doing the same?

By all means go to Dubai when you qualify, but don't expect a red carpet awaiting you when you get back.

Same with doctors and nurses. If you want to settle in Ireland, then by all means do so. But don't think you can spend 10 years taking photos with camels while earning top coin while we sit around waiting for you to come back and start work.

There are plenty of accountants and electricians around the place, and tbh any fucking idiot could be a solicitor, so they don't get the same premium when they go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi, and consequently we don't have this same issue with those professions.

Teachers and nurses however are in high demand and young Irish people qualifying in those professions know that they can exploit that with a few lucrative years abroad before rocking back into Ireland. Well the teachers have been shown that it's not that easy. Loyalty works both ways.

I know you’re having the bantz, but why would teachers not have their teaching experience abroad counted? What engineer, architect, solicitor, electrician, plumber, accountant or whatever comes home from a stint abroad and has the years cancelled off their CV? That makes no sense

The truth is that the Dept of Education are happy acknowledge their experience and offer them positions, but then turn the years abroad against them for their salary only
Public servants pay scales don't reward you when you are not in their service. It makes perfect sense that they aren't rewarded for time served elsewhere.
Would an electrician that was working for city council and leaves his job, comes back into on a higher time served payscale if he comes back after 10 years? No chance.

Public servants pay scales don't reward you when you are not in their service. It makes perfect sense that they aren't rewarded for time served elsewhere.
Would an electrician that was working for city council and leaves his job come back into on a higher time served payscale if he comes back after 10 years? No chance.
Yes, but the Dept will happily acknowledge the years on your CV and offer you a senior teaching role, but then offer a starting point on the pay scale at the same time

We have a shortage of teachers here, and a load of principal and VP positions unfilled. The people that could potentially fill them are not going to do so for shit money

To discourage younger people from doing the same?

By all means go to Dubai when you qualify, but don't expect a red carpet awaiting you when you get back.

Same with doctors and nurses. If you want to settle in Ireland, then by all means do so. But don't think you can spend 10 years taking photos with camels while earning top coin while we sit around waiting for you to come back and start work.

There are plenty of accountants and electricians around the place, and tbh any fucking idiot could be a solicitor, so they don't get the same premium when they go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi, and consequently we don't have this same issue with those professions.

Teachers and nurses however are in high demand and young Irish people qualifying in those professions know that they can exploit that with a few lucrative years abroad before rocking back into Ireland. Well the teachers have been shown that it's not that easy. Loyalty works both ways.
That’s nonsense - set up a scheme where all students of all courses must stay and pay back some of the investment in them with time spent working here, or let them leave and they get pay back some of the investment, but make it across the board if you want.. picking out certain professions and deciding they should have stayed is silly

I could have left no bother, I didn’t because I didn’t want to live in a kip like Dubai.. not because I felt I was wrapping the green flag around me

Yes, but the Dept will happily acknowledge the years on your CV and offer you a senior teaching role, but then offer a starting point on the pay scale at the same time

We have a shortage of teachers here, and a load of principal and VP positions unfilled. The people that could potentially fill them are not going to do so for shit money
Principals and VP are different roles though, we are talking about teachers here that just teach classes.
What's a senior teaching role by the way?

Will they offer a senior role but not pay the going rate for that role? Doubt that tbh.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼