Stuff that grinds your gears

I smoked for 15 years. Went off with vaping for a while but gave that up too thankfully.

I found for me, what worked was little victories. Instead of thinking "how do I get through today with all these cravings", I used to think "this craving will last 5-15 mins tops. Just beat this one and go from there".

So I got lots of mini successes instead of one big success at the end of the day/week/month. Though I did enjoy those too.

I found if I got deep into a book, work, sport, guitar, etc I wouldn't notice any cravings and wouldn't even think about them. Literally forgot about smoking for hours at a time.
Experiencing forgetting about smoking was a huge confidence boost.

But for me, the biggest thing was just to beat the immediate battle/craving.

It's like the old saying - how do you eat an elephant? One fork at a time!

I'm about 7 years off them now and the only thing I miss is having the occasional spliff (even if it's a blunt/bong/etc, too risky).
Yeah I know it comes in bursts. ( you don't have that video)
I can't afford it any longer anyway. The vaping companies make a fortune from batteries that need replacing constantly

I'll be working a lot this month. I drink 2 litres of water a day. Hunger isn't bad but I've cut down on food lately. Did you give up vaping or smoking? I dunno is it the physical act of having it in your hand and then the puffing.
That was definitely a big part of it for me. I especially found it in the car, cos I smoked all the time while driving.

I used to hold a biro in my hand a lot when I quit first, just for something to fidget with.

Stick with it, the cravings and habit lessen quickly and you will start to notice benefits to health within a few weeks.

That was definitely a big part of it for me. I especially found it in the car, cos I smoked all the time while driving.

I used to hold a biro in my hand a lot when I quit first, just for something to fidget with.

Stick with it, the cravings and habit lessen quickly and you will start to notice benefits to health within a few weeks.
I definitely will. I've been holding the battery even though it's dead. I'd say within a week should have improved. I'm going to sell all the vaping stuff online.

I smoked for 15 years. Went off with vaping for a while but gave that up too thankfully.

I found for me, what worked was little victories. Instead of thinking "how do I get through today with all these cravings", I used to think "this craving will last 5-15 mins tops. Just beat this one and go from there".

So I got lots of mini successes instead of one big success at the end of the day/week/month. Though I did enjoy those too.

I found if I got deep into a book, work, sport, guitar, etc I wouldn't notice any cravings and wouldn't even think about them. Literally forgot about smoking for hours at a time.
Experiencing forgetting about smoking was a huge confidence boost.

But for me, the biggest thing was just to beat the immediate battle/craving.

It's like the old saying - how do you eat an elephant? One fork at a time!

I'm about 7 years off them now and the only thing I miss is having the occasional spliff (even if it's a blunt/bong/etc, too risky).
😃
Excellent post Handy!

I still smoke a pack a week and vape the rest of the time.
Had a hospital appointment a couple of weeks ago where previously they said it was vital I give up.
Have you cut them out completely they asked
Oh yeah, I don't know how I ever smoked
Does your wife smoke
No why?
Because your clothes stink of tobacco

Pwned good and proper.
😂
My wife says that neither my hair nor my clothes stink of tobacco now.

Erra I think im too long in the tooth now, we all die eventually like, may as well make it pleasurable while it lasts...

You're doing great though, don't stop fighting, I'm just a stubborn eejit.
🤔
Is smoking really a pleasure though? Since I've stopped I'm fairly sure it's not. Smokers kid themselves imo.

🤔
Is smoking really a pleasure though? Since I've stopped I'm fairly sure it's not. Smokers kid themselves imo.

Relief from craving is a pleasure. I once heard it described as it's a pleasure like taking off tight shoes is a pleasure. But why wear too tight shoes that hurt your feet in the first place.

Relief from craving is a pleasure. I once heard it described as it's a pleasure like taking off tight shoes is a pleasure. But why wear too tight shoes that hurt your feet in the first place.
🤔
Bad comparison imo.
Tight shoes cause pain. A cig to relieve craving is a far more subtle form of damage.
You don't crave uncomfortable clothes or shoes!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼