Songs that reference other songs

By which I don't mean nicking a riff, a melody, or God preserve us, a remix, but blantantly including a reference to another song in the lyrics. The prime example of this is obviously American Pie by Don McLean which references too many other songs to list. Other examples I can think of include Franz Ferdinand's "You're the Reason I'm Leaving" which namechecks "Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M. I'm sure there's a Travis song which references 'Wonderwall' as well.

A sub-category in this is artists who reference their own past work. For example Bob Dylan in 'Sara' references "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands", The Beatles in 'Glass Onion' reference "Strawberry Fields Forever" etc.

Any more examples?

northmallexile said:
A sub-category in this is artists who reference their own past work. For example Bob Dylan in 'Sara' references "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands", The Beatles in 'Glass Onion' reference "Strawberry Fields Forever" etc.

Any more examples?

The walrus was Paul.

northmallexile said:

Any more examples?

eminem says shit alot

"watching the wheels" by john lennon

lyric:
"people say i'm lazy , dreaming my life away"

- refers to "no.9 dream"

"no.9 dream" by john lennon

John was born at 6:30 pm (6+3+0=9) on October 9th

John met Yoko on November 9th 1966.

John was killed at 10:50 pm in New York on December 8th, the five
hour time difference meant that it was December 9th in Britain. His body was taken to Roosevelt (nine letters) Hospital. It was situated
on Ninth Avenue, Manhattan (nine letters). He was pronounced dead
there at 11:07 pm (1+1+0+7=9).

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

13th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Cork Roots Festival: Two Time Polka

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼