Shit job in Cork or good job in Limerick

If you've taken the job then definitley consider moving there. I spent most of the last 5 years travelling up to Dublin, staying in hotels during the week, then back to Cork at the weekends. I had an apartment in Dublin for the last year but still travelled home most weekends. Aside from being expensive running 2 places it was very tiring, packing the bag on Sunday evening was especially miserable. Someone suggested looking at a B&B, this would be worth doing for Monday & Thursday which would make the daily commute a little bit better, however also have a look at a house share option in Limerick. It might work out the same as a B&B for two night a a week, or even the same as the fuel for commuting.
In the end though I think you're better off moving up there fulltime & make a proper go of it.

I'm living with herself down here in Cork in a sweet apartment and we're both in our early 30's. I hate my job do. I've got offered a job in Limerick which is better in every way compared to my other job but it's in Limerick... It's been a very tough decision.

:cool:
Take the Limerick job if the conditions are better man. Social mobility is necessary these days to improve oneself. Limerick has it's faults but I'm sure you'll find a decent place to live.
If you continue being pissed off in your current job, Cork will lose it's charm and interest very quickly. Let's face it, you spend a huge portion of your life at work so if you are miserable in your job it's bound to have a knock-on affect on your overall happiness.
"Go West Young Man" for a few years at least.

If you've taken the job then definitley consider moving there. I spent most of the last 5 years travelling up to Dublin, staying in hotels during the week, then back to Cork at the weekends. I had an apartment in Dublin for the last year but still travelled home most weekends. Aside from being expensive running 2 places it was very tiring, packing the bag on Sunday evening was especially miserable. Someone suggested looking at a B&B, this would be worth doing for Monday & Thursday which would make the daily commute a little bit better, however also have a look at a house share option in Limerick. It might work out the same as a B&B for two night a a week, or even the same as the fuel for commuting.
In the end though I think you're better off moving up there fulltime & make a proper go of it.

:cool:
I agree with you about the commuting Sham.
I did it for 6 months to Dublin in the 1990s and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone t.b.p.h.
I used to work an extra 5 hours in the office from Mon.-Thur. (flexi-time was an option there) to allow me catch the train to Cork at 13.30. on Friday. Get to Cork around 16.30 and go straight to a city centre pub to meet the lads, who finished work around 17.00, We usually stayed until closing time and sometimes went clubbing afterwards. A decent lie-in on Saturday was followed by lunch. If there was a decent A.I.L. or club game on, take that in. A quieter session of pints on Sat. night followed by a lie-in on Sunday. A quick pint or two at lunchtime followed by lunch and then it was time to pack the suitcase again to catch the train at 18.30. As you've said, this part of Sunday was miserable in the extreme. Later, on arriving in Dublin, get to my flat and fall into bed.
For 6 months it seemed that I had an existence but not a life to be perfectly honest about it.

Last edited:
im in limerick 16 years now after living in cork for my first 30 and nothing wrong with the place, like every town in ireland a lot will depend on where you live, you mentioned the south circular rd which is a great spot, close enough to town and the cresent , some good pubs and good schools, my daughter goes to school on the south circular and i live in the area, i have never had any trouble up here in all my time and even though i miss cork and you cant get a good pint of murphys it is still only an hour down the road, if you need any info on anyplace then sent me a message and i will do my best to help you out.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Funny Fridays Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

24th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼