Registering a Band

.....does anyone know how to do this legally so I own the rights to a band name?

I know how to do it with a business but not sure about this - who do I have to go thru?

Unless you're seriously setting up the band as a business, there's no official way to do this. Just get your name out there and known through extensive gigging.

Unless you're seriously setting up the band as a business, there's no official way to do this. Just get your name out there and known through extensive gigging.

Thanks. So if anyone decided to come along and start using my bands name do I have a leg to stand on to stop them using it?

I would think you could sort that out with a cease and desist letter from your solicitor. And get your fans on side also!

As I said, the best thing to do is to be damn good, and busy. So anyone copying your name is foolish. If you ever make serious money, you can afford to set up as a company in the usual way, and have a trademark. That'd be the official way actually, but I don't know of any bands (apart from huge ones like Pink Floyd) that have this in place. There simply isn't enough money earned for it to be viable.

I would think you could sort that out with a cease and desist letter from your solicitor. And get your fans on side also!

As I said, the best thing to do is to be damn good, and busy. So anyone copying your name is foolish. If you ever make serious money, you can afford to set up as a company in the usual way, and have a trademark. That'd be the official way actually, but I don't know of any bands (apart from huge ones like Pink Floyd) that have this in place. There simply isn't enough money earned for it to be viable.

Thanks Aikens

Well we are a wedding band and my company Showcase Cork is fairly established.

I have my reasons for doing this but I don't think it would come to it to be honest

Just playing safe

Ya could register the domain. The website would be only €50 a year to maintain.

ShowCaseCork has a ring to it alright, Just registering it there, I'll sell it to ya for a grand! ;)

Get released on a known label before any imposters do is all i can think of.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who knows the legal side of the music industry.

*screams*
MADTHEORY!!!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Big Swinin' Mikeys

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼