Reducing The Minimum Wage Helps The Country

cost of living needs to be addressed and made lower before the minimum wage goes down. everyone is entitled to a place to live, food on the table and heat/electric.

cost of living needs to be addressed and made lower before the minimum wage goes down. everyone is entitled to a place to live, food on the table and heat/electric.

you can't call fossil fuels alone "the cost of living". I don't buy oil, gas, or coal. my electricity comes from airtricity so actually went down this year.

the only essential falling is food. on minimum wage luxuries are a few and far between treat.
IIRC, Eurostat reckons, Ireland has experienced 3% deflation between September 08 and september 09, with a further 1.2% deflation between september 09 and september 10.

I've seen figures as high as 5.7%, but I believe that's for the Retail Price Index, not the Consumer Price Index (CPI), mostly due to dramatic falls in the costs of housing. The CSO put CPI at 0.7%, RPI at -0.3%. Those figures are considered to be somewhat optimistic.

i don't think people on the minimum wage pay mortgages

In the real world, many who were paying their mortgages and lost their jobs are now facing jobs that only pay the minimum wage.

As for the cost of living, everything is creeping back up again, food shopping 10c on this 10c on that it all adds up.
Cutting the minimum wage is not an option, Cut the cost of living puts more money in peoples pockets which will encourage them to spend on the goods that they would not think of buying now, more money being put back into the economy.
The problem is that there are too many people who earn a wage here and send the majority of it abroad living on the absolute minimum that they can. This has created a see-saw effect, where money is not been spent on the local economy.

In the real world, many who were paying their mortgages and lost their jobs are now facing jobs that only pay the minimum wage.

As for the cost of living, everything is creeping back up again, food shopping 10c on this 10c on that it all adds up.
Cutting the minimum wage is not an option, Cut the cost of living puts more money in peoples pockets which will encourage them to spend on the goods that they would not think of buying now, more money being put back into the economy.
The problem is that there are too many people who earn a wage here and send the majority of it abroad living on the absolute minimum that they can. This has created a see-saw effect, where money is not been spent on the local economy.

The problem is the local economy didn't try to encourage these people to spend their money here by lowering prices. So now there's a catch-22, prices are high because wages and costs are high, and wages and costs are high because prices are high.

Ireland needs to leave the Euro really.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

115 Jazz Jam Sessions

115 Caf And Wine Bar, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼