Rebel Og

Something to do with a more local set up and less travelling is it. Clubs to be pooled in groups of 8 ?

Also full time paid administrator who will organise all fixtures, refs etc.

From the bits I've heard it sounded worth trying

No what I am hearing the regions are going to be done away with its going to be one championship in all grades county wide . Some serious travelling involved for some small clubs in the county .

One championship but will be broken into what that are calling "pods"
The pods are to be on a regional basis so travelling shouldn't be too bad I'd say

...so basically they are returning to the old structure?

A board member brought this up at our club meeting this week.

I'm sorry if the details are not 100% accurate. But the following is what we were told.
1, Kevin o Donovan is the man driving it and has backing of the CCB.
2, they want to appoint 1 person full time for fixtures
3, removal of regions as we no it.
Example- the point that was being made is there's 3 regions at A,B C grades etc. that there's situations where there might be 10 teams in East, 5 teams in West and 4 teams in North at any age group. You have a situation where Valley Rovers for example are playing the 10 team East group with Youghal. When in fact wouldn't they be better off playing Bandon, Newcestown, Ballinhassig, Bishopstown etc and make up group of 8 in close proximity. Do this around the county. There's more flexibility and cuts down on fellas travelling from Youghal to Aghabullouge for instance.
4, fixtures are standard a cross the county at age groups. Same day , same time etc . That everyone will know when there playing at start of year just like they do in soccer, rugby.
As things stand the games are played whenever clubs decide. clubs are left to decide when to play and it ends up with loads of walkovers and games not being playing. Where great in GAA for trying to pull strokes and change fixtures.

I'm probably leaving out a lot more details. But from what we can gather the Central board and East boards are supportive.

Like anything there is a lot of people in power on boards that may not be so keen to let go. Be interesting to see how it plays out . I know my own club were fully in favor of it when explained in full/better detail than I done above.

A board member brought this up at our club meeting this week.

I'm sorry if the details are not 100% accurate. But the following is what we were told.
1, Kevin o Donovan is the man driving it and has backing of the CCB.
2, they want to appoint 1 person full time for fixtures
3, removal of regions as we no it.
Example- the point that was being made is there's 3 regions at A,B C grades etc. that there's situations where there might be 10 teams in East, 5 teams in West and 4 teams in North at any age group. You have a situation where Valley Rovers for example are playing the 10 team East group with Youghal. When in fact wouldn't they be better off playing Bandon, Newcestown, Ballinhassig, Bishopstown etc and make up group of 8 in close proximity. Do this around the county. There's more flexibility and cuts down on fellas travelling from Youghal to Aghabullouge for instance.
4, fixtures are standard a cross the county at age groups. Same day , same time etc . That everyone will know when there playing at start of year just like they do in soccer, rugby.
As things stand the games are played whenever clubs decide. clubs are left to decide when to play and it ends up with loads of walkovers and games not being playing. Where great in GAA for trying to pull strokes and change fixtures.

I'm probably leaving out a lot more details. But from what we can gather the Central board and East boards are supportive.

Like anything there is a lot of people in power on boards that may not be so keen to let go. Be interesting to see how it plays out . I know my own club were fully in favor of it when explained in full/better detail than I done above.

Can i add every year. Every age group is a case by case. There will be no divisions/regions. so every year you will have your 8 premier 1 teams. 8 premier 2 and you might have 24 at A grade a cross the county. They will be grouped with nearest 7 clubs every year. This will vary a lot as clubs fluctuate between grades.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cork Roots Festival : Susan O' Neill

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7:30pm

More events ▼