Pubs reopening June 29th

And there's nobody visiting the city anymore due to the expensive hotels, high crime rates, and general poor condition of the place.

I was down int local yesterday evening and there was a couple from Brighton in who were looking for some trad. They had been to Sin E (which they left because it was too mental), Corner House, Counihans, and even the feckin Old Reliable, because they had looked up trad music in Cork and these were the places that came up. None of them had live trad on last night, and I was at a loss as to where I could send them. I eventually told them to give the Spailpin a go, but fuck knows what the music is like in there these days.

The Friday of Paddy's weekend, every pub in town should have a fucking trad session on ffs. Why should we expect tourists to come here and spend their money when we give them nothing in return. They're not coming for the weather like.

If I had foreign friends coming to Ireland for St. Patrick's Day I'd tell them to go to Galway, Ennis, Kilkenny, Killarney... basically anywhere but Cork. All you'll find in Cork are Racing Pubs and people fighting on the streets.
I can agree with most of that unfortunately. Are our hotel rooms more expensive than other places?

I was thinking in an Irish context tbh but as one would say you knew that already.

Yes I was only being bold.

I had a look there and my argument didn't stack up. I'm amazed at the availability and the prices for tomorrow night.

Cork International Hotel - €125
Imperial - €180

I'd have expected both of those to be either booked out, or else astronomically priced. Paddy's Day in Cork like.

That suggests to me that tourists just aren't coming here.

And I don't blame them. Cork City is a kip.

And there's nobody visiting the city anymore due to the expensive hotels, high crime rates, and general poor condition of the place.

I was down int local yesterday evening and there was a couple from Brighton in who were looking for some trad. They had been to Sin E (which they left because it was too mental), Corner House, Counihans, and even the feckin Old Reliable, because they had looked up trad music in Cork and these were the places that came up. None of them had live trad on last night, and I was at a loss as to where I could send them. I eventually told them to give the Spailpin a go, but fuck knows what the music is like in there these days.

The Friday of Paddy's weekend, every pub in town should have a fucking trad session on ffs. Why should we expect tourists to come here and spend their money when we give them nothing in return. They're not coming for the weather like.

If I had foreign friends coming to Ireland for St. Patrick's Day I'd tell them to go to Galway, Ennis, Kilkenny, Killarney... basically anywhere but Cork. All you'll find in Cork are Racing Pubs and people fighting on the streets.

The fixtures for the 2025 six nations are out.

500 quid for a hotel out in Ballsbridge for the England/France games, minus breakfast & parking.

Factor in 240 quid for two tickets, food travel and you're talking easily a grand for a night away.

Hotels in Dublin don't deserve any custom. Robbing baxtards.

Last edited:
My son got train up and down yesterday Luas from station to land down road no way he was spending night up there at the prices .

Its just gone banaras.

Had tickets for the Wales game and just flogged them. Crazy prices for a hotel room.

Then factor in drunken oafs in and out every few minutes and there's little enjoyment to be had.

Went to the France game in the soccer and tbh it was a lot better as people were actually watching the game.

My son got train up and down yesterday Luas from station to land down road no way he was spending night up there at the prices .

I was offered guest list for Judas Priest on Friday by a mutual friend of ours, but the price of a hotel in Dublin on the Friday of Paddy's was just insane. I'd say even the band found it pricy

I go to Dublin now for work and nothing else. Around once a month I book the 9pm train back so I can go for a few pints in my old local, but thats the extent of my contribution to Dublin’s nighttime economy these days

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Miles Kane
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

12th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼