Pubs reopening June 29th

Is it me or are the pubs a bit quieter this year?

The week coming up to Christmas was definitely quieter, I know of a few places that didn't even use their late extension.

Christmas Eve was also more tame, as was Stephens Day. I was in the Hyde Out yesterday, had the whole bar to myself for a while, and then went to Hickeys in Aherla for the Munster match and we had two tables to ourselves.

Even around town the shops were mental on Friday, but Saturday and Sunday were like a normal weekend.

And then today is just dead around. The weather doesn't help, but you'd think Christmas would be busier.

Prices don't help either. I love the place but some of prices in the Hyde Out are mad. I paid €8 for a bottle of Stonewell for herself yesterday.

I have found it very quiet this year even the city shops coming up to Christmas were not that busy no problem getting parking on the street.

There's simply no competing with online shopping. You've an endless list of items available, delivered to your front door.

Compared to braving town with the crowds and the weather its a no brainer

Heard of someone getting charged over €17 for a glass of Chardonnay in a City hotel. When he queried this he was told it was the only one available. The same hotel didn't have Murphy's available on draught the previous week.

Heard of someone getting charged over €17 for a glass of Chardonnay in a City hotel. When he queried this he was told it was the only one available. The same hotel didn't have Murphy's available on draught the previous week.

The hotels are as bad as the taxi drivers for making a bollox of the city. Their prices are insane and if you're getting that kind of service you're not going to leave Cork with the best impression of the place

Is it me or are the pubs a bit quieter this year?

The week coming up to Christmas was definitely quieter, I know of a few places that didn't even use their late extension.

Christmas Eve was also more tame, as was Stephens Day. I was in the Hyde Out yesterday, had the whole bar to myself for a while, and then went to Hickeys in Aherla for the Munster match and we had two tables to ourselves.

Even around town the shops were mental on Friday, but Saturday and Sunday were like a normal weekend.

And then today is just dead around. The weather doesn't help, but you'd think Christmas would be busier.

Prices don't help either. I love the place but some of prices in the Hyde Out are mad. I paid €8 for a bottle of Stonewell for herself yesterday.
Last three weeks the busiest I’ve ever worked and it would not just be me saying it ,I’d say at the expense of restaurants though ,only fair tonight with the weather ,

The price of a pint has gone through the roof folks

From another talkpage :
  • €6.70 pint of Heineken, Crane Lane
  • €6.80 pint of Heineken, Sober Lane
  • €6.40 pint of Heineken, Bodega
  • €6.40 pint of Heineken, Vicarstown
  • €6.20 pint of Something, Franciscan Well

Loyalty works both ways I think

Jesus I can't wait til the Hyde Out is open again.

I think they're open at 2 tomorrow. I might just go to bed now to shorten the wait.

I went in there for a pint on Christmas Eve MOE given all the high praise you were giving it here. Must say I was a bit underwhelmed.

While the bar-staff were very attentive - portly chap with a shaved head, and a long-haired barmaid who probably caught her death of cold in that top she was wearing - the pint of stout was meh. Mrs said that the cocktail was very well priced at 12 Euros.
Decent atmosphere in there with a lot of families and friends catching up and the Christmas decor nice but not overpowering, but the jacks isn't as good as it used be previously and the ceiling in the pub itself seemed very low. Place would have you sweating if there was a big crowd. Another big table in teh centre reserved MOE so you won't like that ;)
7/10

So you've chosen to ignore the most expensive pint on that last to instead feed off your personal grudge towards Mr. McCabe.

Why not talk about Sober Lane's loyalty?

Hadn't realized that I've a personal grudge with Benny McCabe to be honest but thanks for letting me know.
Not sure the owner of Sober Lane posts here, never mind reads the posts here. But if he does, he should be ashamed of himself charging that kind of money for a pint that I think is below par anyway.

Pubs SHOULD be loyal to their clientelle if they expect their clientelle to be loyal to them.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Open Mic Night

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼