Pubs reopening June 29th

What are the most expensive pints in Cork these days?
Someone told me recently they payed €7 for a pint in the Mabel Lane in Carrigaline recently. Not sure what he was drinking.
Not surprising but the Opera House cost me 15.80 for a Bacardi and coke and a pint of Heineken at the weekend.
Same round cost me 14.60 in the Liberty.

It's crazy expensive to go out drinking in the city tbh.

It’s getting to the stage where you’d ask for an estimate before ordering.
Ryanair have an awful lot of city breaks available from Cork Airport now. Venice, Rome, Carcasonne, Posnan, Etc….

Not surprising but the Opera House cost me 15.80 for a Bacardi and coke and a pint of Heineken at the weekend.
Same round cost me 14.60 in the Liberty.

It's crazy expensive to go out drinking in the city tbh.

Pretty sure that it was €15.70 for a Guinness and Morgan's Spiced with Coke in Counihan's when I was in there a few weeks ago. And roughly the same for a pint of Murphy's and Jameson with ginger ale.

Hefty.

Dennehy's on the Coal Quay is still less than a fiver for a Beamish.

Pubs are different. It's the restaurant/hotel (along with food served in some pubs) that this will affect. And hairdressers.

But apparently the guys who scream the loudest about this always come up with the old "but tourism" excuse. It's as if they think the country should be a theme park so that they can continue employing minimum wage staff selling expensive food to "tourists," and paying as little tax as possible.

I can't remember the last time I was out in a pub. Certainly long before Heineken put up the price of Beamish and all that.

It's far easier to stay at home with a bottle of wine or a few cans, watch some sports and play the odd video game with the nerdy buddies online. I'd say there's a massive percentage of people younger than me doing this as well, and as for my parents they only go out if someone gets them vouchers for a place. It's a case of me and my siblings loading them up with tickets for things and vouchers for restaurants and bars and hoping they use them before the heat death of the universe.

Pretty sure that it was €15.70 for a Guinness and Morgan's Spiced with Coke in Counihan's when I was in there a few weeks ago. And roughly the same for a pint of Murphy's and Jameson with ginger ale.

Hefty.

Dennehy's on the Coal Quay is still less than a fiver for a Beamish.
Jesus, €15.70 is ridiculous.
You can buy 20 bottles of Heineken for €25 in Supervalu/Tesco etc. We are being absolutely fleeced. No wonder people rarely go out. Taxis in and out etc.

Big change in culture here, couples with kids now stay in and have friends over and have a takeaway and a few bottles,
Many younger people are more into fitness than drinking these days,
Huge change in drinking culture: younger cohort more into health, fitness, travel, saving, weddings, experience's, good food and hobbies.

Restaurants in Cork have been very busy since Christmas while pubs are very quiet in the city centre and suburbs as between themselves and the breweries they are simply pricing themselves out of the market.

Why even bother with the hassle of pubs when you can drink cheaper at home (people have invested in their homes since C-19) and Deliveroo in some great food?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼