Places that won't reopen

Speaking of costs, saw an acquaintance I know in Aldi the other day. Basket full of green teas, flavoured teas, brown breads and scones. Chatting away to them, Oh, just down from "work", getting a few bits and pieces. Work is a well know city and county chain. Seen the same in a popular Turners Cross bar with the Aldi tea bags. And the top trump I witnessed, one early morning, just as a St Lukes Cafe had opened their doors, the server was busy cutting 2 carrot cakes and a coffee cake into 1/8s. Aldi Specially Selected boxes on the counter behind her.
This has been going on for years, About two years ago i had lunch in a sit down/ takeaway in mccurtain st, After eating my grub
i went up to pay, I was charged 3 eu for a can of coke, When i questioned it your man said restaurant prices,

Is there anything to say that they can't buy it in Aldi/Lidl and sell it on?

Or are they supposed to buy from a wholesaler?

If they are going down the Aldi/Lidl route, are there tax/vat implications?

Just curious.

I don't think people should assume the food they eat in cafes etc is anything special or of better quality than what can be bought at a discount retailer. This is the case for a long time.

in terms of tax/vat implications there would be nothing here that wouldn't be accounted for via straight forward bookkeeping.

The hospitality sector is in crisis

Meanwhile...

Here are 10 new cafes in Cork 🤷‍♂️

I wonder is it a case of existing businesses not being able to, or being reluctant to take a hit on their margins, while new operators come into the sector knowing full well what they're up against and subsequently factoring things like a higher VAT rate into their business plans?

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Casey Black

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7:30pm

More events ▼