Paddy power and gambling addiction

I’ve posted enough of my anti gambling sentiments over the years here, bookies are no better than one armed bandits at this stage so I have no idea why people persist.

Why anyone would play a one armed bandit is beyond me.. here’s a machine programmed to make money, so it will it out less than it accepts.. wanna play? Only a dope would, it’s about to pay out etc etc

With the level of technology available to the bookies now it’s no different, the minute the realise you are any good they just limit your activity to the point that there’s no point so they can focus their attention on emptying addicts of their last few euros.. why bother?
Because it can be a fun enjoyable activity. I enjoy the intellectual challenge and I get a buzz off my bets coming in.

Over the last year I’ve managed to make a profit too. Nothing life changing (not even close) but enough to get a decent holiday if covid ever fecks off (I realise this may be just be luck, but there are things you can do like matched betting and taking advantage of the offers they give to reel you in without being reeled in, to make some money).

Because it can be a fun enjoyable activity. I enjoy the intellectual challenge and I get a buzz off my bets coming in.

Over the last year I’ve managed to make a profit too. Nothing life changing (not even close) but enough to get a decent holiday if covid ever fecks off (I realise this may be just be luck, but there are things you can do like matched betting and taking advantage of the offers they give to reel you in without being reeled in, to make some money).
Glad for you DT, but will you not find that they stop offering all of these incentives to you now that they realise you’re smarter than your average pundit? Isn’t that what Dan is giving out about?

I was reading about some fella up the country last week who drew half a million in pension payments for his dead parents, only to hand it all to the bookies. You’d think those cunts would have had some conscience at some point. They have every punters profile so in the same way they have realise Dan is on the ball they knew they were emptying that poor sod

Glad for you DT, but will you not find that they stop offering all of these incentives to you now that they realise you’re smarter than your average pundit? Isn’t that what Dan is giving out about?

I was reading about some fella up the country last week who drew half a million in pension payments for his dead parents, only to hand it all to the bookies. You’d think those cunts would have had some conscience at some point. They have every punters profile so in the same way they have realise Dan is on the ball they knew they were emptying that poor sod
I’d doubt I’m any where near Cloudy’s level at it tbh.

But yeah, there’s always the chance that those offers will stop and I’ll get stopped eventually. That’s why I have a lot of accounts.

I think modern bookmakers are absolute sharks Honky. They don’t give two fucks about addicts and are only playing lip service to trying to stop problem gambling.

Their whole business model is built on fleecing people. In the old days a bookmaker would make a book, take bets from sharper punters and adjust their lines accordingly and make money from mug punters.

But it was a proper book, and they accepted winning punters as the price of doing business. Now, they just want losers, and that’s it. Paddy power, bet 365 et al are billion pound businesses and they’ll stop you punting if you make a few grand off them.

It might sound contradictory but the best thing the government could do to stop this is make it illegal to refuse a bet from punters. It would force bookies to really work on their books and they wouldn’t then be able to dole out those so enticing offers to reel the unsuspecting in as it would annihilate their profits.

But that won’t happen, because there’s a near puritanical attitude against gambling taking hold. It’s understandable too with the damage that is being caused to the addicts and their families.

In the UK they’re proposing a single customer view, so bookies can see problem gamblers quicker. The bookies are all for it.

Now, remember their business model? These guys will use it ruthlessly to shut down winners and extract more from addicts, I’ll guarantee it.

It’ll probably happen here too eventually, although hopefully GDPR will put a halt to it.

TLDR bookies are vultures.

I’d doubt I’m any where near Cloudy’s level at it tbh.

But yeah, there’s always the chance that those offers will stop and I’ll get stopped eventually. That’s why I have a lot of accounts.
Multiple accounts are illegal m8

Multiple accounts are illegal m8

As usual you have no clue what you’re talking about.

Whats the biggest loss you’ve had .

I lost about 700 quid in one go about 16 years ago. Short odds soccer match, last min equaliser to scupper my bet. Ouch..

That was my own fault and i’ve never bet that big or lost that amount since. I’d have the odd bet now, nothing more.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brógeal

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼