Operation Kenova

Findings of the kenova report have been released, I was going to say shocking stuff, But in reality nothing about what went on up there surprises me,
The report doesnt name Scappatici but the dogs in the street know it was him,
Some of those accused of been informers were entirely innocent and some had learning difficulties, Some were sacrificed by MI5 in order
to protect agents, Some were shot due to disputes over spoils of criminality,
The report is very critical of special branch and IRA,

Truly horriffic stuff coming out about the I.R.A. and the British security services: The report identified cases where an agent had murdered another agent, where an agent had operated contrary to instructions, and in situations where they could arguably have been said to be acting in the interests of the state. In some cases people murdered as informers had not been agents at all. The report is also highly critical of the IRA. It said it had been responsible for "torture, inhumane and degrading treatment and murder, including of children, vulnerable adults, those with learning difficulties and those who were entirely innocent of the claims made against them." People had been murdered because of hierarchical disputes within the organisation, because of clashes over the proceeds of criminal enterprises and even to facilitate extra-marital affairs. The main findings of the report are: More lives were lost than saved as a consequence of the activities of the British Army’s top IRA agent Freddie Scappattici known as Stakeknife during the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Claims by British intelligence that the intervention of Stakeknife saved hundreds of lives are based on “unreliable and speculative internal metrics”. The IRA’s treatment of informers was among the “most shameful and evil I have ever encountered”, report author Jon Boutcher concluded. The British Government and the IRA should apologise to the families of victims of the IRA “nutting squad”. Jon Boutcher has recommended that June 21st be set aside every year to remember the victims of the Troubles.

Actually this is pretty shocking by any standard. What an unholy mess and an awful read it is & what a dirty war it really was.
It is what we already knew but when put to print like that is brutal.

Both sides were culpable.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

19th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

The Cripple of Inishmaan

Cork Opera House, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼