Oil and filter Change

for a Megane Coupe

How much we talking lads?

Very easy to do that yourself, just make sure you have somewhere to dispose of the old oil later.

All you need is a spanner to undo the sump nut - pour out old oil,
A filter clamp to remove the filter .

When oil is totally drained - put on new filter - tighten by hand (don't use the tool you removed it with to tighten it)
Put back in the sump plug - tighten well with spanner.
Put back in fresh oil in quantity as specified - Do not exceed quantity specified as this will cause the oil to displace and generally cause trouble for your car, same goes with putting in too little oil.

Pretty easy job once you have the right tools and proper means to dispose of the oil. G'wan get stuck in.

A friend of mine does it himself too on his astra, me, not having much confidence with cars tend to leave it to a professional, saw this over on boards.ie...

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/cork/advance-pitstop/757059

seems like a good deal to me, wasnt totally conviced if it would be a proper job, posted it on octane.ie and people there seem to think its grand

That is very good value , but I don't know how they arrived at that price - prices for oil filters vary, labour wise it's a pretty quick job , any mechanic could do it in about 20 mins all said and done.

Seriously get your mate to show you how it's done - Along with changing a wheel probably the easiest job to do to a car.

That is very good value , but I don't know how they arrived at that price - prices for oil filters vary, labour wise it's a pretty quick job , any mechanic could do it in about 20 mins all said and done.

Seriously get your mate to show you how it's done - Along with changing a wheel probably the easiest job to do to a car.

The lads on boards were skeptical about the price too, but I think its a good deal. I reckon I'll grab the offer this time, but as you said I will have to learn how to do it myself too, if its that easy. Its about time I learned a little more about cars.

paying 30 euro plus for something I can do by myslef is a bit odd. Depends on a car (especially how accessible the oil filter is), but usually everything is done in 30 minutes.

Got a quote last Monday from the former Kwik fit place in Togher for €90 last Monday and Hanleys by the Lough for €75. (2 litre petrol)

I will do it myself.

Those people offering very cheap oil / filter change: you would have to wonder if the oil and filter they are using is up to the required standard.

If not, it could turn out to be a very expensive job...

Doing it yourself is the way to go.

Got a quote last Monday from the former Kwik fit place in Togher for €90 last Monday and Hanleys by the Lough for €75. (2 litre petrol)

I will do it myself.

That's the spirit. All you need is a spanner, bucket and a right place to do it (once I parked the car with the front wheels on the edge of kerb). Just don't leave the car on the jacks, get some proper support (axle stands - I have one spare brand new pair for sale). Then maybe lay some plastic foil under the car just in case you will spill some oil around by accident.

I'm sure there is plenty of How To vids on youtube.

Also get in Halfords for a fiver this engine flush:

186.png

Pour it into the engine and give it some revs for about 10 minutes. It will get rid of all the shit you don't want to have there with the new oil.

Something is telling me, that they don't do that in garages.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

DJ Mossy

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼