Official UEFA Champions League 23/24 Thread

Ceferin put it as : "The impact of the rule now runs counter to its original purpose as, in fact, it now dissuades home teams - especially in first legs - from attacking, because they fear conceding a goal that would give their opponents a crucial advantage."

I think thats been shown to be complete bollocks.
Aye. I agreed with scrapping it, but I was wrong.

It created a lot of jeopardy and hence a lot of drama. As for the first legs, I'd say it created a unique situation as home teams in all but the most one sided ties would feel obliged to attack to bring something away with them, and it incentivized the away team to score at least once, as it could count double in the event of a drawn tie.

No I mean the team at home in the second leg were at a disadvantage in extra time as the away team was getting 90 minutes + extra time where goals were worth more to them.
Can see this but that’s it’s balanced out I think in the fact that one team gets 30 mins extra at home with their own fans but the other team gets 30 mins to try get an away goal.

The competition hasn’t had half the amount of drama without it and I think away goals gives the underdog that extra little bit of incentive to cause a scare in the second leg too. The first legs are a complete waste of time currently.

A good example of it is that Arsenal’s 1-0 defeat at Porto would have been a really bad result with away goals in place but now it’s just a basic lead to overturn.

Can see this but that’s it’s balanced out I think in the fact that one team gets 30 mins extra at home with their own fans but the other team gets 30 mins to try get an away goal.

The competition hasn’t had half the amount of drama without it and I think away goals gives the underdog that extra little bit of incentive to cause a scare in the second leg too. The first legs are a complete waste of time currently.

A good example of it is that Arsenal’s 1-0 defeat at Porto would have been a really bad result with away goals in place but now it’s just a basic lead to overturn.
Agree with all that though not sure any away goals rule would've changed the shitness of that game.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Indie/Folk Music

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼