Official NH/Cheltenham 2017 Thread

Cheltenham on Channel 4 today!! Great stuff! Really looking forward to this years National Hunt season. Mullins vs Elliot on this side of the Irish Sea and Nicholls vs Skelton across the water will shape our season I'd imagine.
Shout out to a few podcasts : Final Furlong podcast are looking to have a show every week which will be great, Racing Post National Hunt preview is also available. Add to that the ATR microsite and theporge is looking forward to the evenings closing in , glass of Nicky Henderson brandy, and lots of studying for the year ahead.
How does Mullins keep Annie Power, Faugheen and Annie Power apart? Can Coneygree come back? His 10/1 about the Gold Cup could look mighty big come next March if he does come back.
First 'talking horse' is something akin to Min last year and that is Melon. But with Moon Racer and Ballyandy in the Novice grade as well, don't think I'll be lumping into Melon just yet.
One bet today Gibralfaro in the 3:00 today has the benefit of a recent run which might give it the advantage in a competitive looking race.
Best of luck for the season!!

Ok so Thistlecrack hacks around Chepstow at 1/6F and has his price cut to 5/1f for the Gold Cup .. madness .. At the prices now I think Djakadam @ 16's is a solid each-way shout.

Ok so Thistlecrack hacks around Chepstow at 1/6F and has his price cut to 5/1f for the Gold Cup .. madness .. At the prices now I think Djakadam @ 16's is a solid each-way shout.

Thistlecrack is some horse though tbf. But i would be looking elsewhere at that price

Will Douvan definitely stick to 2miles? Don't think Ricci will ever have a better horse for winning a gold cup, i guess will depend on the form of Vautour. He probably has a free option this year given Douvans age. Try Vautour for this year and if that fails go with an 8 year old Douvan in 2018 (with a Champion Chase already under his belt).

Annie to retain her crown too i think/hope. Awesome mare.

Will Douvan definitely stick to 2miles? Don't think Ricci will ever have a better horse for winning a gold cup, i guess will depend on the form of Vautour. He probably has a free option this year given Douvans age. Try Vautour for this year and if that fails go with an 8 year old Douvan in 2018 (with a Champion Chase already under his belt).

Annie to retain her crown too i think/hope. Awesome mare.

We saw it last year especially but the guy almost has too much to choose from in that yard. At least 3 possible GC horses, some more stamina and some flashier. Another 3 for CH. One or two at least for Queen Mother.

Then there's the complication of owners and Ruby's hunger for Grade 1's.

Very early days for Thistle over fences. Looked good alright.

I know its early days but the King George could be some race this year : Vautour, Cue Card, Douvan, Coneygree, Thistlecrack, Djakadam, Don Poli, Silviniaco Conti to name but a few.
Closer to today, I think Blaklion @ 5/1 is an each-way bet to nothing in the Charlie Hall on Saturday. Fave Cue Card is almost 11 years old, third fave Dynaste likewise. Cant see Blaklion being out of the first three. Stick him in an each-way double with festival winner Minella Rocco whose also out Saturday.
If you want to try and get some clue as to where Willie is targeting his horses, ATR did a stable tour recently and Kevin Blake gives more info on the Final Furlong podcast from last week. Also last week, The Racing Post pod had Patrick Mullins previewing the NH season.

I fail to see why it is madness, the bookies are hardly going to take a chance with a horse with as much potential as Thistlecrack. Yesterday didn't tell us a whole lot other than the fact that he seems to have schooled well. His stamina certainly isn't a doubt and his change of gear towards the tail end of a race is something that probably only he possesses at that distance. Early days yet of course as he is a novice, but I could see him being shorter on the day.

I'm as excited about Thistlecrack as the next fella, but I couldn't be having 5/1 on a horse that may still be a Novice entering 2017 (Tizzard has already said he could be heading for the Feltham over Christmas)
The Gold Cup is a brutal slog and I'd worry for him especially if Coneygree makes it back. These 2 could end up taking each other on for the first 3 miles and leave it open to a boat passing them up the hill.
All will be played out before us over the next 4 months or so. Can't wait.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Polly Barrett
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

8th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Tony Cantwell - Litterbox

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼