New tv recommendations?

My tv looks to have given up the ghost, so I now have to deal with the aggro of replacing it.

My needs are reasonably simple, so I'm not looking for anything top of the range. My current tv is a JVC InteriArt, and it suited me fine. It worked grand for just about seven years on the button before giving up the ghost this week. My Sky+ box memory is accumulating shows and near to maxing out as we speak, so I want/need to replace it as soon as possible!

So, suggestions on a decent make and model which won't cost an arm and a leg, and where would be a good place to shop would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance!

I picked up a really nice Sony 42" LCD in Harvey Norman's a few months ago for around €600. No frills, great picture.

I'd stay away from anything with the word "Smart" - it will be obsolete in a week.

Good tip on the 'smart' thing. I'll be sure to give it a wide berth.

When you say 42" - is that the screen or the full width of the tv? My current screen is about 21", and probably up to 25" if you include the frame. I honestly don't think that corner of my sitting room could take a mega-screen!

great value out there i reckon i bought a sony in harvey also but shop around there is b50 quid difference between some stores, samsung lg sony all looking good

Good tip on the 'smart' thing. I'll be sure to give it a wide berth.

When you say 42" - is that the screen or the full width of the tv? My current screen is about 21", and probably up to 25" if you include the frame. I honestly don't think that corner of my sitting room could take a mega-screen!

you measure the diagonal afaik.

What's this market research? Chill, just buy a fucking TV you can afford. It's not that difficult.

I don't think it's unreasonable to look to tap into whatever knowledge may be out there. Just like with most other technology/electrical goods and items, sometimes there are brands to avoid and brands that get good press. The last thing anyone wants to do is buy a tv that may go kaput after a year, and who hasn't heard about that kind of horror story?

Whenever I have a query about anything vaguely techy I come here and always get a decent steer.

And this is the first time I've ever had such a condescending response from someone. I suppose it's not a bad strike rate after all these years!

And if that's all you have to say, well, why bother?

Well I believe you, you are not employed to get into these arguments. You'd better get back to your market research quickly before your bosses at the nielson company find out that you have been slacking. "Horror story" still gives me a chuckle tho, thanks for the laugh.

Ciao.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Juicy Couture Fc

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼