New laptop advice again!

13.3 inch Macbook Pro has 4GB of RAM and tis a cracking laptop.

About £860 or €950 in Dixons in Heathrow. I think it's actually quite good value.

About £860 or €950 in Dixons in Heathrow. I think it's actually quite good value.

repped. Got a refurb for $920 last month. well worth the price...course I'm in the US, maybe someone could purchase & ship if the cost made sense..

Cheers hbb. Having a 17" screen is pretty important to me but afaik pds only runs in windows. I've grand big arms anyway so wouldn't mind lugging it round the place.

expand it to the max memory 8gigs and ye'd be grand I'd say... better than that over priced mac garbage anyway.....
In fairness, the Macbook Pro is starting to look decent value with those specs at that price. Sure you can get a better laptop for the spec, but not *that* much better.

Looking at the John Lewis website in the UK, for example:
http://www.johnlewis.com/230933694/Product.aspx
2.4GHz core duo and 2kg, with 4gb of DDR3 RAM, 10 hours of battery life and a 250GB harddrive.

This 14" HP:
http://www.johnlewis.com/230676453/Product.aspx
has a 250gb harddrive, a slower processor, less RAM, and worse battery life. Weights a bit less, but it's only £150 less.

Ok, for £100 more you can get this Sony Vaio:
http://www.johnlewis.com/230986917/Product.aspx
with 6gb of ram, twice the size of harddrive, but the battery life is shite. Not clear if the RAM is DDR2 or 3 either.

I'm starting to come around to the view that the 13" Macbook pro is not a complete and utter rip off. Expensive, sure, but not *that* expensive compared to the competition.

I had a go off building a comparable Dell. Besides a DNS failure on the website, o get a Latitude 13 to the same spec, you'll fork out £710 and even at that, you've only got a the low voltage (i.e. power) version of the 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo, whereas the Macbook has a 2.4GHz version of the same chip.

So while it is a lot cheaper, I'm not sure it'd crack along as quickly and, well it's a Dell, every dell I've ever had has had hardware problems.

In saying that, every piece of Apple hardware I've ever owned has had hardware problems too, but I must admit, I'm sorely tempted. If this new announcement in October pushes down the prices of Macbooks or bumps up the spec (although yes, it's probably just yet another expensive upgrade to the OS), then I think I might get one.

yeah but the difference is HBB - that ye can get all those specs and better with a basic pc and if ye don't like using windows then ye can put what ye want on it at a lesser price...including if ye want a mac operating system....

why pay 30-40% more for the same thing? After all the mac OS isn't all it's cooked up to be really - personally I think it's a bigger pain on the head than PC.....it's a lot more annoying to trouble shoot...I.M.H.O.

yeah but the difference is HBB - that ye can get all those specs and better with a basic pc and if ye don't like using windows then ye can put what ye want on it at a lesser price...including if ye want a mac operating system....

why pay 30-40% more for the same thing? After all the mac OS isn't all it's cooked up to be really - personally I think it's a bigger pain on the head than PC.....it's a lot more annoying to trouble shoot...I.M.H.O.
PC? Like a desktop?

Well, for me, a desktop is totally useless. I don't use one at home, nor at work, but then again, I'm probably not your standard user. I travel a lot, work from home and frequently work in different countries.

Well, I agree on the Mac OS, but my work laptop has been a pain in the hole recently, the biggest problem being that it won't go into standby properly. It's got a driver conflict issue, related to a combination of Outlook, Vodafone's mobile USB stick drivers, the work VPN and Zonealarm.

Ditching Zonealarm has helped somewhat, and I thought I was over the hassles, but apparently not, the problem reared its ugly head again yesterday evening.

Bastarding thing.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

27th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

NewEra

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼