Men vs Women

Safety is a consideration for every woman I know when deciding when and where to exercise outdoors. Thats just a fact of being a woman.

I regularly exercise outdoors, I walk to and from work, often at night so i wouldn't agree at all that the attitude or actions of men stop me, but I have been cat called and made to feel uncomfortable on many occasions walking alone and it is certainly a factor for me in picking routes.

Maybe men have the same experiences, I dont know. I know it's not something my husband ever worries about and he has ran outdoors most days since he was a kid. He might get a smart comment thrown at him, but he has never felt in danger or that he needs to alter his training because of danger.

So I would guess that this article ( which to be fair I haven't read) is a kernel of truth wrapped in hyperbole

Of course safety is a consideration for women, unfortunately it needs to be. I regularly discuss the route my wife would take and make sure she is changing it with the darker evenings... I have changed my routes recently as the evenings are pitch dark now and the park doesn't have street lighting so i wouldnt run through it

But the tone of the article isn't about that stuff.. it is claiming that women have been forced to stop exercising outdoors because of men, and if you didn't realise this that is because you are part of the problem.

I honestly dont think it is accurate in any way, women are out exercising in their droves in my experience, and I dont care what Malachy says I do not contribute to women feeling uncomfortable about exercising. What does contribute to that is the drivel he is writing though, and how it paints men in a dreadful light

He claims 'study after study' to back up his claims, not citing any.

A quick search found one article from the UK, it said parents are worried about their 15 to 21 year olds running outdoors. They said dark mornings and evenings are more of a factor in people running less.

It seems Malachy is just publishing unsupported opinion.

The sources the english journo he was parroting are very questionable as well. They gave rates for South African women feeling unsafe in public parks, this is the same SA with some of the highest instances of rape and violence in the world.. my surprise is only that the number feeling unsafe wasn't 100% FFS

Less people running in the dark is inevitable, it would happen even in Mullalleys utopia free of men, because there is a greater chance of being knocked down, falling on uneven ground etc and temperatures tend to be lower so less motivation to go out

Heres the article

The lad is entitled to form his own opinion after reading a few studies, it doesn’t bother me too much but the last part is the most jarring. “You’re part of the problem”. I know first hand that clerkin is sound out but he fucked up big time there with that remark, basically saying “this is my opinion and now it’s a fact. Conversation closed.”

My missus exercises outside every single day

cork-docks.jpg

Confirmed.

The lad is entitled to form his own opinion after reading a few studies, it doesn’t bother me too much but the last part is the most jarring. “You’re part of the problem”. I know first hand that clerkin is sound out but he fucked up big time there with that remark, basically saying “this is my opinion and now it’s a fact. Conversation closed.”

Thats it, I disagree with his piece which according to him now confirms me as part of the problem

So despite the fact that I neither threatened nor laid a finger on a woman in my life.. a have a mother, sister, wife and daughter all of whom I want to see safe and well.. I am now a problem. I am the reason these women have all stopped exercising in public, even though my wife does about 250kms a month, and my mum walks 6 days a week in the evening, swims 3-4 days a week, and hikes with a group at the weekends.. and my daughter is too young to be aware of any of this

Thanks Mal 👍

I see heaps of women walking and running, cycling not so much.
I will say that I myself would walk almost anywhere, light or dark, sober or pissed without much thought of anything bad happening.

I have only read the last few posts on this thread as I don't really have the time right now, but just wanted to make a quick comment.

My daughter is 22 and she gets constant comments from guys in cars/building sites or wherever men gather, whether she is walking to work or out jogging. She's far from a prude, but it certainly does put fear into her.

If I told you about the attention and hassle she gets on night's out it would shock you tbh.

A minority of men are animals and all men get blamed for their behaviour.

I have only read the last few posts on this thread as I don't really have the time right now, but just wanted to make a quick comment.

My daughter is 22 and she gets constant comments from guys in cars/building sites or wherever men gather, whether she is walking to work or out jogging. She's far from a prude, but it certainly does put fear into her.

If I told you about the attention and hassle she gets on night's out it would shock you tbh.

A minority of men are animals and all men get blamed for their behaviour.

I had hoped those days had passed, Some women on hen nights etc can get fairly messy also ,

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼