Memorable hurling matches

1999 Munster hurling final.

7 years without a Munster title was a famine. 54k rammed into Thurles. The town end as usual a sea of red and white. Before throw in a huge Esat Digifone flag is passing along the terrace over our heads. It's stifling hot underneath it.
Smell of cider, used flares and the sound of airhorns make the atmosphere intoxicating.
Deane goals. The terrace explodes.
David Forde misses a 20 yard free. The terrace explodes again.
Full time and all hell breaks lose.
Flares going off everywhere.
2 of my buddies are on the team/panel. Make it down and celebrate with them.
Stop in the Avondhu Bar Fermoy on the way home. My dad is in there. He's langers 😂 first of only 3 times I've ever seen him drunk. He belts out De banks. Everyone joins in.

One of the great days.

Memorable games I attended. 1976 All Ireland hurling final, my first final of many. 1983 Munster Football final, soaked to the skin drinking big bottles of Carling on the Blackrock terrace. 1984 Munster hurling final baked in the sun and one of my all time sporting heroes Seanie, fantastic. Both 1990 finals but the football final whistle to do the double, days.

Great thread Mattie I used to sell programs as a young kid and I used to be shitting myself to try get the correct change. So many 86 final in Killarney ( which not many people remember) John Fitz scored a goal that day and you could see how much JBM had an influence on him. 84 was magnificent 86 was great but 1990 was the most special for me after playing like shite and then bang bang 5 goals I think. 99 was special with such a young squad but the return of the GOAT imo in Cork hurling was just something else. The point of his knees and then the point in the final almost on the sideline off his left and punching the air was a defining moment in time. So yeah I am with Dan . 2004 was just something special

Interesting to note the 1985 Munster Final was another absolute epic which we won but it got a bit consigned to the scrap heap due to the shit show semi final on the August Bank Holiday in front of 5k people where we lost even though we scored about 27 goals. In those days Munster Final wins meant little unless they were converted into All Irelands.

I really enjoyed the 2003 semi final (draw) against Wexford . Great drama ..

My birthday in 1996 we played ye in the Pairc, I think 19 points was the winning margin.
The craic with the Cork supporters was brilliant, we always loved hiring the minibus to go to Cork for a match.
Genuine hurling fans

Interesting to note the 1985 Munster Final was another absolute epic which we won but it got a bit consigned to the scrap heap due to the shit show semi final on the August Bank Holiday in front of 5k people where we lost even though we scored about 27 goals. In those days Munster Final wins meant little unless they were converted into All Irelands.

I really enjoyed the 2003 semi final (draw) against Wexford . Great drama ..
The week before the 85 semi JBM got injured playing football for the Barrs, Came on late v Galway but the damage was done,

Denis mulcahy made a crucial intervention late on that started the move which led to one of the late goals,
And if its redemption stories we are talking about. Michael Doyle was vilified by his own for not "smashing it away over the stand " instead of across the goal and into Denis Mulcahy's hand to set up the comeback.

In 1987 Doyle came back to haunt us in extra time in Killarney having weathered the abuse from his own. think he went on to manage as well not sure..

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Dance (12A) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:05pm

More events ▼