Junior A Hurling Championship 2024

The Gaels are yet to push on. The two original clubs joined a good while ago to play higher grades. That is their aim and that is why they are together. They are looking at counties rather than Avondhu. I was very surprised with the loss to Glanworth last year but tbf Glanworth proved themselves subsequently as a really good side.

The Geals i think would only have got a few minors through, don't think they had anyone transferr in( stand corrected on this), the young lad o'callaghan will be a big addition. Them selves and Ballyhooly will walk their group and Geals will be looking to progress straight to a semifinal if they can beat Ballyhooly, would expect Glanworth to win the other group and also make semifinal straight along with Killavullen also to come out of this group but charleville depending on who they use on first team could cause an upset. Other group will see some great battles, clyda are clyda and will always be hard to beat, Killshannig would be expected to be in the shake up for honours and Dromina with the additions this year could cause a few upsets, they've started the league very well again beating Clyda and hammering Shanballymore. Glanworth v Geals final is my bold prediction for this year.

Carrigdhoun Draw:

Group 1:
Shamrocks
Tracton
Valleys
Kinsale

Group 2:
Courceys
Belgooly
Ballymartle

Group 3:
Ballinhassig
Carrigaline
Ballygarvan

Would imagine Tracton will walk this and the county. Playing Division 5 county against Intermediate A teams makes a big difference.

Carrigdhoun Draw:

Group 1:
Shamrocks
Tracton
Valleys
Kinsale

Group 2:
Courceys
Belgooly
Ballymartle

Group 3:
Ballinhassig
Carrigaline
Ballygarvan

Would imagine Tracton will walk this and the county. Playing Division 5 county against Intermediate A teams makes a big difference.
They’ve had good performances so far against Watergrasshill Castlematyr and Aghabullogue

Think Tracton will be favourites but wouldn’t expect them to be walking the county.

They were relegated from a weak enough Premier Junior grade and were handily beaten by the last two Junior A champions (two sides who had to work very hard to get out of Junior A in the first place).

This grade is a real bottleneck and it can be tough to get out of it.

I’d definitely have Tracton as favourites, and playing division 5 hurling will probably stand to them, but there’s several sides I could see turning them over also.

Walking the county is a massive stretch. Fair enough their league is a higher standard but leagues have meant very little for championship in the past years. In fact Tracton got promoted from Division 6 last year and got relegated in Championship.

Carrigdhoun JAHC Preview:
GA: Valleys, Tracton, Shamrocks, Kinsale
This is the group of death for the south east. I expect Valleys and Tracton will get out the group but Kinsale are playing Division 7 hurling so we will have to see how they do there, they tend to flatter to deceive every year. Both Kinsale and Shamrocks are well capable of beating Valleys and if Tracton and Valleys play first round, could be tough for the Tracton men.

GB: Belgooly, Ballymartle, Courceys
More straightforward here. Belgooly and Ballymartle will get out of the group. Their match against each other will be tasty though. Courceys won't do much again this season.

GC: Ballinhassig, Ballygarvan, Carrigaline
Ballinhassig will get out of this group very easily. The big game will be Ballygarvan and Carrigaline. I expect Ballygarvan to win this. Carrigaline seem to be going no where in hurling at the moment, but Ballygarvan aren't great either.

Some tasty matchups here in the group stage, which will hoepfully make up for Tracton's eventual easy win in this grade.

Think Tracton will be favourites but wouldn’t expect them to be walking the county.

They were relegated from a weak enough Premier Junior grade and were handily beaten by the last two Junior A champions (two sides who had to work very hard to get out of Junior A in the first place).

This grade is a real bottleneck and it can be tough to get out of it.

I’d definitely have Tracton as favourites, and playing division 5 hurling will probably stand to them, but there’s several sides I could see turning them over also.
I suppose walk is a slight exaggeration but they should be winning it. I think you’d agree your own club improved hugely from playing county league last year so my basis was on the fact Tracton are competing with Premier Intermediate teams. But as you said big difference between league and championship. Their biggest obstacle will nearly be Carrigdhoun board, who always make a mess of scheduling matches which could lead to Tracton playing divisional semi finals/finals/county matches in a short period of time which could catch them.

On a side note are cork minors allowed to play junior a? I know both Ballinora and Tracton have cork minors so if they can play for their clubs they will add to the teams as well.

I think the idea of any team walking the county is farcical. The difference between Junior A and Premier Junior is in my opinion the closest out of any grades going up. The past two Premier Junior winners won the Junior A County the previous season. And I might go as far to say that they won easier counties in Premier than in Junior A.
Erin's Own went to extra time and drew, and then in the replay went to extra time again before winning. Kilshannig were a puck of a ball from being county champions one year and don't make it out their region the next.
Dromtarriffe dominated the county final against Ballygiblin for the best part of 50 minutes, Ballygiblin go on to win the county and saunter through Premier Junior whilst Dromtarriffe haven't made the county semi since.
I've no doubt Tracton are a good side, but there's absolutely no team in Junior A or Premier Junior who would walk the Junior A county. If you win this county you'll have earned it!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cormac Ó Caoimh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

12th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Henry Glassie: Fieldwork (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8:05pm

More events ▼