Jesus lads, 'tis looking like BREXIT!

There seems to be an unrelenting stream of misery, bad news and other negative indicators coming from the UK. I saw a graph today that showed the average height of 5 year olds had decreased between 1990 and 2020 for example.

Now, it's entertaining to watch the various misadventures of the Tory party, but, surely there must be some positive things happening over there too?
Considering the size of my 5 year old, I dread to think what he'd be like if the UK hadn't been a complete basket case...

There is plenty positive happening, it isn't a complete shitshow for many, especially if financially you're doing ok. It's just that the overall management of the country is on par with a tribe of monkeys having a shit flinging competition.

The other thing to remember is that it has been a wealthy country for a long time. It has enormous investment in the built environment, lots of clusters of world class capabilities (despite the best efforts of the Tories) and a pretty diverse economy.

I'm fairly confident that with half decent leadership, it'll do pretty well.

Considering the size of my 5 year old, I dread to think what he'd be like if the UK hadn't been a complete basket case...

There is plenty positive happening, it isn't a complete shitshow for many, especially if financially you're doing ok. It's just that the overall management of the country is on par with a tribe of monkeys having a shit flinging competition.

The other thing to remember is that it has been a wealthy country for a long time. It has enormous investment in the built environment, lots of clusters of world class capabilities (despite the best efforts of the Tories) and a pretty diverse economy.

I'm fairly confident that with half decent leadership, it'll do pretty well.
"World beating" post alert................

If you are doing "ok" and there is a huge underclass on the breadline then you have huge long-term endemic social problems.

British productivity is just hopeless.

Starmer is throwing approving winks at Thatcher.

They are not reversing Brexit.

They will also be tough on immigration.

Thye have to be Tory lite to attract reluctant Tory voters.

Labour have admitted that the country is almost skint as the Tories scorched earth financially and on international relationships and the rule of law.

"World beating" post alert................

If you are doing "ok" and there is a huge underclass on the breadline then you have huge long-term endemic social problems.

British productivity is just hopeless.

Starmer is throwing approving winks at Thatcher.

They are not reversing Brexit.

They will also be tough on immigration.

Thye have to be Tory lite to attract reluctant Tory voters.

Labour have admitted that the country is almost skint as the Tories scorched earth financially and on international relationships and the rule of law.
Productivity might be hopeless but there are plenty areas where British capabilities are definitely up there with the best in the world.
It used to be in the top 2-5 in the world for life sciences and pharma research, depending on the measures, it's either still there or just below that level.

Nature had the UK as No. 2 in the world for life sciences in 2020: https://www.nature.com/nature-index/news/ten-best-countries-life-sciences-research-rankings, probably below that with the rise of Germany and Brexit but it's still pretty damned good by global standards, with Cambridge and Oxford still in the top 5 or 6 depending on your preferred global ranking.

It's number 3 in the list of quantum startups (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1317821/quantum-computing-startups-number)

It's ranked as one of the top locations for startups, London is #3 on this list, UK overall #2 on this list, #3 on this list, 2nd largest private equity market globally

The UK is #2 in the art market: https://www.statista.com/statistics/885531/global-art-market-share-by-country/

It's No. 3 in AI research: https://www.techopedia.com/top-10-countries-leading-in-ai-research-technology

With Rolls Royce it has arguably the leading jet engine manufacturer in the world. I'm sure GE would disagree with that statement as the biggest manufacturer.

The UK is still, despite Brexit, the leading net exporter of financial services, depending on the exchange rate (figures from earlier this year: UK £63bn, US £62bn, Singapore £19bn). It also has the second largest market for legal services, largest currency trading, 4th largest insurance market.

The UK isn't suddenly a total basketcase.
There's definitely enough remaining strengths after 13 years of Tory fuckwittery to get the economy going again.

As for Starmer, he's doing the dirty work of what's needed to get elected. The far left of the party don't like it, but that's not where he needs to work hard to get votes. They'll hold their noses and vote Labour come the election. The Tories are going further right, but are losing votes hand over fist in the centre ground to Starmer's Labour.

He's basically under promising in the hope of over delivering. Effectively setting himself up well for the election after next.

Productivity might be hopeless but there are plenty areas where British capabilities are definitely up there with the best in the world.
It used to be in the top 2-5 in the world for life sciences and pharma research, depending on the measures, it's either still there or just below that level.

Nature had the UK as No. 2 in the world for life sciences in 2020: https://www.nature.com/nature-index/news/ten-best-countries-life-sciences-research-rankings, probably below that with the rise of Germany and Brexit but it's still pretty damned good by global standards, with Cambridge and Oxford still in the top 5 or 6 depending on your preferred global ranking.

It's number 3 in the list of quantum startups (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1317821/quantum-computing-startups-number)

It's ranked as one of the top locations for startups, London is #3 on this list, UK overall #2 on this list, #3 on this list, 2nd largest private equity market globally

The UK is #2 in the art market: https://www.statista.com/statistics/885531/global-art-market-share-by-country/

It's No. 3 in AI research: https://www.techopedia.com/top-10-countries-leading-in-ai-research-technology

With Rolls Royce it has arguably the leading jet engine manufacturer in the world. I'm sure GE would disagree with that statement as the biggest manufacturer.

The UK is still, despite Brexit, the leading net exporter of financial services, depending on the exchange rate (figures from earlier this year: UK £63bn, US £62bn, Singapore £19bn). It also has the second largest market for legal services, largest currency trading, 4th largest insurance market.

The UK isn't suddenly a total basketcase.
There's definitely enough remaining strengths after 13 years of Tory fuckwittery to get the economy going again.

As for Starmer, he's doing the dirty work of what's needed to get elected. The far left of the party don't like it, but that's not where he needs to work hard to get votes. They'll hold their noses and vote Labour come the election. The Tories are going further right, but are losing votes hand over fist in the centre ground to Starmer's Labour.

He's basically under promising in the hope of over delivering. Effectively setting himself up well for the election after next.
It has its strengths in some areas thankfully (Ireland does not need a basketcase Buenos Aires on the Thames as a neighbour) and London will always have an attraction as a global hub even though other European and U.S. cities can now eat its lunch and if it does not sort out its health, education, apprenticships, inactive people, climate policy and improve production It is actually going backwards while its competitors go further ahead.

Their politicians and media are just hopeless.

The art market is focked post-Brexit
1701795142998.png
1701795177157.png
Clarification from Home Office that the £38,000 income threshold for UK citizens wishing to bring a spouse applies to "the income from the UK-based partner" NOT joint income. Concern this effectively means only those among the top 25% of earners can afford to marry a foreigner.

A country for the rich

HBB I know you're mortgaged up to your tits over in Reading, but the UK is in a fast decline.

I was in London from 2016 to 2021, I'm now in Norn Iron, I know what decline looks like.

Its over m8, it's all about pulling the last of the copper wire out of the walls of the british empire now, Keith will do fuck all to address any issues, it'll be sound bites for another decade.

You should make sure your kids have an EU passport, so they can get an education later on, and get out.

HBB I know you're mortgaged up to your tits over in Reading, but the UK is in a fast decline.

I was in London from 2016 to 2021, I'm now in Norn Iron, I know what decline looks like.

Its over m8, it's all about pulling the last of the copper wire out of the walls of the british empire now, Keith will do fuck all to address any issues, it'll be sound bites for another decade.

You should make sure your kids have an EU passport, so they can get an education later on, and get out.
They already do.

Guess I'm a bit more optimistic on that front. I like Starmer, I like the fact that he comes across as an almost annoyingly centrist bore.

I wonder why that appeals?

yeah, not tax deductible like in Ireland for a monthly bus/luas pass either.

I know people spending over 10k a year on getting to and from the office, that's after tax.
if your company pays for your travel like mine does you're fine but I have mates with good jobs that are forking out 5-6k but then their mortgages are smaller than mine as they don't live in London. You'd need to be fairly far out of London for your annual travel to be 10k

if your company pays for your travel like mine does you're fine but I have mates with good jobs that are forking out 5-6k but then their mortgages are smaller than mine as they don't live in London. You'd need to be fairly far out of London for your annual travel to be 10k
Swindon is £10k, 115km, less than an hour at peak hours, so I'd imagine a lot of folks do it, albeit the problem is that you then you have to live in Swindon. It's cheap for a reason...

ITV NEWS

"Picture a country going backwards, where workers haven't had a decent pay rise in 15 years, public services are on the verge of collapse, and the gap between rich and poor grows year on year"

1701802403609.png

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Ger Wolfe
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Zone Of Interest (12a)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 4:15pm

More events ▼