Jack Charlton RIP

As my 'pen name' suggests, some other sport is my main focus.

But the memories this man created for any of us around during that era will stay with us forever.
I was actuly in Landsown Road for his first game in charge in 1986 vs Wales.
I'm sure anybody with a passing interest in sport can tell you exactly where they were and who they were with when we beat England in Euro 88, drew with England in World Cup 90, the penalties win against Romania, q/final defeat to Italy and the Giants stadium win against Italy.

Iconic moments in Irish sport.

I could go and talk about his style of play but that would be petty. At a time like this, it's nice to just reminisce about the great times.

Rip Jack. An Irish Legend!

👍🏻
Excellent post man!

RIP Jack. never knew he was ill but I did think it was odd he wasn't part of the RTE programmes over the last few weeks

Thanks for some incredible memories Jack

I remember the firsts time I saw that video on page 1, I think it was on Reeling in the Years but the old fella, in the shirt and tie always made me emotional myself, imagine waiting 50 or 60 years.

88 passed me by, too young, I can’t really remember a lot of 90, except for the knockout and Roger Mila but my first poroper memories kicked in with the qualifier in Belfast. I loved his confident tone, not willing to back down to those bollixes.

RIP Jack and thanks for the memories.

I remember the firsts time I saw that video on page 1, I think it was on Reeling in the Years but the old fella, in the shirt and tie always made me emotional myself, imagine waiting 50 or 60 years.

88 passed me by, too young, I can’t really remember a lot of 90, except for the knockout and Roger Mila but my first poroper memories kicked in with the qualifier in Belfast. I loved his confident tone, not willing to back down to those bollixes.

RIP Jack and thanks for the memories.

After years of watching the team at Dalymount and lansdowne Road come up just short, the confidence he instilled in Irish teams was like nothing I'd ever seen.
And the fans fed off it as much as the team fed off it. I remember when Spain came to town in 89 in a qualifier the atmosphere in lansdowne Road was out of this world. The Spanish were taken aback by it and the team were buyoed by the atmosphere, think they went on to win 1-0 that day but it was the atmosphere ill never forget.
God they were amazing days.

After years of watching the team at Dalymount and lansdowne Road come up just short, the confidence he instilled in Irish teams was like nothing I'd ever seen.
And the fans fed off it as much as the team fed off it. I remember when Spain came to town in 89 in a qualifier the atmosphere in lansdowne Road was out of this world. The Spanish were taken aback by it and the team were buyoed by the atmosphere, think they went on to win 1-0 that day but it was the atmosphere ill never forget.

They absolutely were, and I’m not one for looking at the past through rose tinted glasses. Life is much better now in general.

But the buzz around that summer in 1990 was something I’ve never experienced since. I’ve a young nephew now, and I hope he gets to experience something similar, us going to a World Cup with hope of more than getting spanked solidly and maybe making a QF or better.

Don’t know if that 1990 feeling can ever be replicated though.

Gingin
Was at the game also and was young but I think it’s an Owen Goal by Michel gave us a 1-0 win.
I remember the away game also when he gave Stan his debut at left back at maybe 18 not sure about that.
I just adored his ability to create not only create a bond within a side that maybe different to his football but he also took us on a great journey for the better.
RIP Jack and I hope Leeds will do it for you tomorrow.

Gingin
Was at the game also and was young but I think it’s an Owen Goal by Michel gave us a 1-0 win.
I remember the away game also when he gave Stan his debut at left back at maybe 18 not sure about that.
I just adored his ability to create not only create a bond within a side that maybe different to his football but he also took us on a great journey for the better.
RIP Jack and I hope Leeds will do it for you tomorrow.

🙂
Yip og from Michel. Stapo was right behind him though and would have scored anyway.
Stan made his debut in Spain in the 1990 qualifiers afaicr.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jennifer Lyons

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼