Is this 'Bitcoin' the real deal?

Respawned perhaps.

Though it was actually mid 2000s that it really started to take off again, first with the ipod, then the iPhone.

Nokia really missed the boat on that one, they thought it was just an ipod with added phone, only teenagers will want one.
Yes and no.
Having both directly worked for, and as a supplier to, Nokia, would like to think I've a pretty close insight.

Nokia had the touch Series 90, launched a bunch of phones on it too:
Merging Series 60 and Series 90 was a mistake...

Nokia were pushing the idea of phones as pocket computers for a long time. I recall installing an app to turn the Nokia 7650 infra red sensor into a remote control in 2002.

The initial iPhone looked good but was a terrible phone. When it launched in 2007, it only did 2G, had shit battery life, a shit camera (it couldn't send picture messages anyway), terrible antenna and didn't install apps. It did have a capacitive screen though, which industry was very skeptical about. I did a test with a capacitive phone screen in 2005 and it was a complete car crash.

On the other side in 2007, the company I was working for at the time had a working 4G phone in R&D, and Nokia had the N95 with a cracking camera, 3.5G and decent battery life with plenty apps available.

Symbian was a dog to develop for. Nokia had a Linux option, Meego or Maemo, which was actually pretty good, launched in a few really good phones (e.g. N8/N9) and Jolla showed, by turning it into Sailfish, that it could be compatible with Android too.

And Apple got much better relatively quickly.

But then Stephen Elop set the whole lot on fire with his disaster of a move to Microsoft.

By the time Elop came in in 2010, it was already too late.

They missed the boat 2006-2010 when the CEO was a lawyer, not a techie.

The lead designer who had been there a long time quit during that time as well.
A decent point but they still had the largest smartphone market share at the time. In 2010, the smartphone market was:
Nokia - 40%
RIM Blackberry - 18.5%
Apple - 14%
HTC - 8%
The rest like Motorola, Samsung, LG, etc, below 5% each

It was still Nokia's to lose.

I actually think cocking up the Trolltech acquisition and integration was the biggest misstep before the Elop brainfart. That Burning Platform memo must be one of the dumbest moves in corporate history.

He wasn't wrong per-se, but it's a stupid move to actually pour petrol on your platform to make it burn much, much faster. Announcing the end of your existing main platform without a first shot at replacement (which needed a lot of improvement) available for 8 months was a worse follow up.
And then Microsoft pisses off developers and early adopters by breaking backwards compatibility.
Twice.

Which was nice...

Last edited:
A decent point but they still had the largest smartphone market share at the time. In 2010, the smartphone market was:
Nokia - 40%
RIM Blackberry - 18.5%
Apple - 14%
HTC - 8%

Ya Symbian was a hopeless OS followed closely by JME.

Nokia - 40%
RIM Blackberry - 18.5%
Apple - 14%
HTC - 8%

I would disagree and so would the share price.

Apple and Android had all the momentum at that point.

The other companies had better product pipelines at that stage, and that's something that was not going to be easy to turnaround, and that's what Elop tries to do with the MS tie up.

I had one of those Nokia Windows phones and I thought it was actually pretty good. There was surprisingly little bloatware. I was surprised when they killed off that platform. Last time I checked, the Nokia Maps app still works on the phone but virtually nothing else does :lol!:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Eamonn McCormak Band

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼