Irish times - subscription only as of this week

So Im busy trying to avoid doing work this morning, having an aul gander through the IT website when I get this message:

Dear Reader,

We hope you have enjoyed reading your 10 free articles this week. You can continue to read Irish Times articles in full with a digital subscription.

You’ll get unlimited access to The Irish Times, on your desktop, tablet or smartphone, including our archives, crosswords and exclusive offers.

Thank you for visiting irishtimes.com.

Kevin O’Sullivan, Editor

FFS! I understand why they are doing it, but its still annoying.

They launched something similar a few years back, but stopped it in lieu of placing more ads on the site.....obviously this hasn't worked.

12 euro a month/40 cent a day is a bit much for your average casual reader, who dips in and out of it?

Even though I read a couple of articles every day, Im not sure that I would put that value on it.........maybe im just used to it being free!

12 euro a month/40 cent a day is a bit much for your average casual reader, who dips in and out of it?
Is this the new thing now? People when speaking finish sentences with an upward inflection? Where everything sounds like a question? So now they are typing this way too?

Why would anyone pay for the IT. Half of its articles are rehashed from hte Guardian and the other half are complete shite.

Used to be a fine paper, but the standard has plummetted in the last 4/5 years.

Is this the new thing now? People when speaking finish sentences with an upward inflection? Where everything sounds like a question? So now they are typing this way too?

It's called the "Valley Lift" in homage to valleyspeak in California, but the habit seems to have originated in Australia.

Sorry, "...in Australia?"

Like, it has loads of different names? High rising terminal is the phonetic description? Valley Lift is more of a nickname?

I think we need to replace the full stop with the eroteme and then replace the eroteme with the interrobang? It's the only way to capture the new tonal qualities of English?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼