Iomain

New hybrid game of hurling and shinty with a common stick between teams for the first time. http://www.shinty.com/news/shinty-to-make-history-with-new-game-called-iomain/
A demo was played at half time in the compromise rules international. Did anyone see it?

They'd be better off IMO if they stopped concentrating on making a new sport (Combining shinty/hurling, this Iomain, and the International Rules) and conentrated on promoting the sports we have at the moment ie the Interprovincials. I dont understand why they dont promote it, the best players from every province playing, does that not scream goldmine to anyone else?

I don't know much about this Iomain craic.

However an idea that I do think is worth exploring is this 11 a-side hurling that they trialled over in Notre Dame. One area I find that GAA is left down is in small fun games.

Soccer has 5 a side and rugby has tag rugby.

It could be good for the promotion of the games if we had more 7 a side football and this 11 a side hurling. Get people involved in the game who don't want the seriousness of the club game. A bit of craic like 5 a side soccer.

They'd be better off IMO if they stopped concentrating on making a new sport (Combining shinty/hurling, this Iomain, and the International Rules) and conentrated on promoting the sports we have at the moment ie the Interprovincials. I dont understand why they dont promote it, the best players from every province playing, does that not scream goldmine to anyone else?
Why cant they do both?

I agree that the disregard with which the gaa treat the interprovincials is nothing short of criminal. Especially when you consider the proud history of the competition. However its not an either or situation.

Iomain with it emphasis on ground hurling and looking back to the roots of hurling seems at least worthy as an idea. Not too sure of likewise merit of the aussie rules hybrid as football is expanding abroad on its own steam.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Murphy & Declan Sinnott
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

23rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼