interesting article re. flash & video on the interwebs

Sounds interesting, it's just that when you hear "analogue controllers", Flash isn't the first thing you would think of as a viable interface. Then again, I integrated ML with a ticker tape reader once, so go figure ;)

Do you have a link or explanation of that work? I would be interested to see it. I found flash combined with the anologue controllers and a microcontroller endless in it's possibilities. Especially when you throw in the wireless option and mobile phones as well.

It is a fascinating new area of design combined with technology and is only in my opinion limited by the imagination of the designers. Hopefully the developers of Flash will catch on to this and make it more friendly in that respect. It was hard work getting the tech to integrate effectively due to several bugs. But these bugs could be made obselete by the developers of flash.

Theoretically I imagine that I could use a well designed system to allow folks to communicate in a ubiqutous way i.e. by using everyday objects to communicate a message in such a way that the tech is almost invisible. It is only a part of my theory I'm still working on it at the moment but it is a most interesting personal project.

Do you have a link or explanation of that work? I would be interested to see it.
It was back in the nineties before stuff was routinely published, basically it used 2 ticker tape machines to record the acceleration/deceleration of your legs as you walked. The information was graphed to chart the progress of people recovering from spinal injuries. It was designed as a cheap way to replace machines costing 100's of thousands..

It was back in the nineties before stuff was routinely published, basically it used 2 ticker tape machines to record the acceleration/deceleration of your legs as you walked. The information was graphed to chart the progress of people recovering from spinal injuries. It was designed as a cheap way to replace machines costing 100's of thousands..
Excellent work there. Especially given the tech at the time. I'm amazed that you could use ticker tape machines to graph that work mechanically and indeed physically apply it to the patient. V.clever use of tech, I'm impressed.

It just goes to show how the low tech can be combined with high tech to benefit folks. There are an incredible amount of sensors available at the moment which can be used imaginatively to benefit people in so many ways.

The medical industry seems to be a major consumer of this tech as such. Your work can be re-produced using accelerometer type sensors I imagine. And would be an interesting recreation of that using updated tech.

As I said earlier it is only the imagination of the designer using this tech that limits it.

I have used several sensors combined with flash to create the boxes embedded with potentiometers (volume controllers) to manipulate flash animations. My own theory is that I can design a system whereby emotions can be conveyed over distance. The hard work in my design is the testing period i.e. after it is made to work. Then it would have to be tested on real people.

It could actually fail from my input and knowledge etc, the testing would prove or disprove my theory. But at the same time it could succeed by others adding to it via reading the potential paper that I may publish. Heres hoping. I love this work because it has no boundaries, it is cutting edge and it keeps me thinking. The only downside is the frustration of having to keep up with the tech provided by the brilliant open source movement folks. They are amazing.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

15th May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼