interesting article re. flash & video on the interwebs

Interesting article but hardly new.

The death of Flash has already passed critical mass, it will take years for it to be totally eradicated but thankfully there is nothing Adobe can do now to save it and I have absolutely zero sympathy for them. They are one of the few companies that provoke as much outrage in me as Apple.

The internet was built on open standards and Adobe failed miserably in trying to close them (Cold Fusion, Flex, AIR all dead or dying).

For proof of what's to come check this out
http://www.chromeexperiments.com/
All done using OPEN standards and no plugins. HTML5 & javascript only...

Totally agree... hate Adobe with a vengeance....Had to un-install a copy of CS4 master suite a couple of nights ago. over 2 hours it took to un-install.. that is fucking horrendous - installing it was little better....

dated argument there... but fair enough, humour noted by use of winky smilie.. :p
Dated, but true. Just look at the amount of nonsense the poster boy for ror (twitter) had to go through to get the site to scale. They ended up practically removing all ruby from the back end and porting it all to scala..

It's Visual Basic for the web in fairness...

Dated, but true. Just look at the amount of nonsense the poster boy for ror (twitter) had to go through to get the site to scale. They ended up practically removing all ruby from the back end and porting it all to scala..

It's Visual Basic for the web in fairness...

twitter is going to be a nightmare to scale no matter what you use... scalability arguments re. Rails are pretty much void unless you're talking about extreme examples. Many very large sites use it with no issues.

as for RoR being similar in some way to VB, absolute nonsense!

but off with ya, I won't be following up on this rubbish..

Last edited:
Adobe Flash is hard to learn but it is a v.good animation program outside the web issues. It is a v.powerful program i.e. it is a tool that allows designers to create amazing stuff as animators. I can create a full animation from flash as it stands. I can create an animation from a script in flash. Flash allows me to do this as a creative person.

Point in fact: I can take a childrens book and make it come alive personally i.e. the flash is the program and tool that can potentially allow me to do this. I have also used it on a multitouch table with animations as well combined with video recognition technology It was hard work making it all work together but we did it as a final year project.

Adobe Flash is hard to learn but it is a v.good animation program outside the web issues. It is a v.powerful program i.e. it is a tool that allows designers to create amazing stuff as animators. I can create a full animation from flash as it stands. I can create an animation from a script in flash. Flash allows me to do this as a creative person.

Point in fact: I can take a childrens book and make it come alive personally i.e. the flash is the program and tool that can potentially allow me to do this. I have also used it on a multitouch table with animations as well combined with video recognition technology It was hard work making it all work together but we did it as a final year project.
Agree with all the above. I was working as a developer for a media house when Flash first came out back in the 90's - I remember how amazed we all were by it. Fact is, Flash itself is still an amazing media tool but Adobe have totally fucked it up by their attitude to the client. For example, I'm running 3 64 bit OS's on my desktop but still have to run a 32 bit browser if I want flash support......

HTML 5's Canvas tag is the way forward ;)

Agree with all the above. I was working as a developer for a media house when Flash first came out back in the 90's - I remember how amazed we all were by it. Fact is, Flash itself is still an amazing media tool but Adobe have totally fucked it up by their attitude to the client. For example, I'm running 3 64 bit OS's on my desktop but still have to run a 32 bit browser if I want flash support......

HTML 5's Canvas tag is the way forward ;)
Interesting. I still cannot see HTML5 at the moment providing the complexities of flash as a tool for creation as a tool. I have used Flash with microcontrollers with proxies combined with the xml socket. This was hard to do but the results were interesting and indeed have potential in the creative sense from analougue controllers i.e. low tech combined with high tech.

HTML 5 in this respect to me has a long way to go. I'm sure that the Flash folks will be aware of all these new developments, hopefully. A point in fact is that some companies are still using flash 2.0 if even that at the moment. In some cases some companies are still using obselete versions of adobe to create content for elearning! A person with a legal version of flash cs3 (I have the design studio version) Is in a position to create as much content as they would wish i.e. me;)

Yep, definitely, HTML 5 has a huge distance to go before it will even come close to flash. I've heard 10 years before it becomes a standard being mentioned and I wouldn't be surprised if it does take that long.

Still though, it's come a HUGE way in a very short time, take a look at chromeexperiments.com for some sweet examples of what you can do..

As I said though, flash itself is an amazing technology, it's just Adobe's arrogant/lazy attitude toward the client that has killed it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..
More events ▼