Immigration Thread

Irish Times
Conor Gallagher
Thu May 18 2023 - 05:00
The number of people entering Ireland having lost or destroyed their travel documents has fallen significantly amid an accommodation shortage for asylum seekers and after tougher enforcement measures were introduced.

Some 780 people presented at Dublin Airport in the first quarter of this year without passports, down 38 per cent on the previous quarter and 50 per cent on the peak figure last year, according to Department of Justice figures provided to The Irish Times. However, the numbers presenting at immigration control having lost or destroyed their documentation is still significantly higher than in previous years.

The fall coincides with an overall decrease in the numbers seeking asylum this year following record numbers last year when an average of 1,137 applicants arrived in Ireland each month. In the first quarter the average was 997 a month, a 12 per cent decrease.

People arriving without a passport are still entitled to claim asylum under Irish and international law. However, it is also an offence for travellers to land in the State without a valid travel document. Just one person has been charged with this offence since 2019, but no conviction was recorded.

Last year a total of 4,200 people arrived in Dublin Airport without documentation, with the majority claiming asylum on reaching immigration control. In some cases those involved are brought to Ireland by human traffickers who seize their passports before they reach immigration control.

The surge prompted the Government to introduce measures to combat the issue. Gardaí have been deployed to overseas airports to co-ordinate checks on travel documents of people travelling to Ireland and the Government has pressured airlines to be more vigilant for people destroying documents before disembarking.

The Irish Times has no credibility. Its a rag. Gallagher could be a chat robot for all their editorial standards.

The department for Integrations latest policy paper is committed to large scale acquisitions of properties specifically to house asylum seekers.

The Greens rush to dismantle direct provision combined with O''Gormless' open invite with the promise of own door accommodation within four months has swamped the system.

its a bit rich for Government ministers to demonise protestors when their own policies are responsible for the current mess.

20 or so people in rural Clare have prompted the leaders of the two main opposition parties to do a complete 180 on their refugee asylum stance.

And it only took them 4 or 5 days. Thats one of the most effective protests in recent history.
They weren't long changing their tune once farmers got involved..

Having a debate on the government's scatter brain approach to refugees is fine. And people are entitled to protest. But blocking public roads, stopping and boarding buses is vigilantism. That the government pathetically caved to this carry on, with most of the opposition playing along will probably cause major problems for them elsewhere, if others protesting decide to adopt this strategy.

These unvetted feens with no passports coming to take all the houses and dole while getting rapey.

They'll take over just like the Vietnamese boat people and the Kosovans did years ago.

The Irish Times has no credibility. Its a rag. Gallagher could be a chat robot for all their editorial standards.

The department for Integrations latest policy paper is committed to large scale acquisitions of properties specifically to house asylum seekers.

The Greens rush to dismantle direct provision combined with O''Gormless' open invite with the promise of own door accommodation within four months has swamped the system.

its a bit rich for Government ministers to demonise protestors when their own policies are responsible for the current mess.
Erra you regularly post "articles" from Gript, an alleged media outlet without a single qualified journalist

These unvetted feens with no passports coming to take all the houses and dole while getting rapey.

They'll take over just like the Vietnamese boat people and the Kosovans did years ago.
I went to City Hall the other day to get a free house and I couldnt get in the door because of all the foreigners with handtrucks carting away their free 52" flat screens and free McDonalds meals for their kids.

When I eventually got to the counter the unvetted military-age fully-vaccinated male there would only speak to me in African. He looked at me in quite a rapey way as well so I contacted the pre-crime unit at Anglesea Street and Sergeant Gemma Doherty came and made a citizen arrest.

Follow me on telegram for more updates.

Last edited:

Quick! Shoot the messenger!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Indie/Folk Music

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼